Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opportunity vs Need

Opportunity vs Need

A firm for whom I do contract work, is realigning their shop and offered me an older (1987) shaper they no longer need, that has more capability than what I currently have, but, arguably don't really need. It's a give-away, but with an 850kg machine (1900#), logistics are challenging and stressful, not to mention the downtime. I already have one 1-1/4" 6hp tilting shaper (four inch free) that I'm really just learning to use. Do I need a 10hp (6 inch tilting) of this size and age? SAC doesn't appear to be in business, so issues (currently none) would be problematic. I can't find the factory manual, that alone is troubling. It does come with a 1hp four roller power feed and the factory fence (the Aigner shown is not included).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bill Adamsen; 03-24-2015 at 7:23 AM.

First thought. Do you have the power supply available to power this beast? Probably three phase.

More always seems better but if the need is not there a pass may be prudent, however much doing so hurts...

Bill
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

Do you have a tilt spindle machine now? If not, dump the one you have and snatch that one up. That is a very nice shaper that you will not outgrow, will most likely run whatever size cutters that you may ever need, and has a tilt spindle, a huge plus in my estimation.

These big shapers are not prone to breakage, so I would not be too concerned about that. This one looks to have been taken care of and does not look to be loaded down with electronics, and has both hoods. Running big cutters in a heavy machine is nice, no scary vibrations, and cuts that are as smooth as a babies bottom.

I would be all over that!

Larry

Is that an Aigner fence on there?

6" under the nut is nice i guess the price is the only thing to think about in your case. looks like a clean machine with 2 fences
    jack
    English machines

It has just the one fence/hood, but that's complete
    It does not have the sliding table which was an accessory on these machines from SAC
    The Aigner fence shown would not be included
    I have a 10hp (Kay MA2) RPC
    My other shaper is 1-1/4" tilt spindle (manual) with some tooling, (combination machine)

Is not having the sliding table a deal breaker? That's my big reservation. Is that limitation crippling?

If it was closer, I'd be glad to save you the trouble of having to deal with it.

It's hard to predict where your business will take you and pointless to look back at deals you passed on in regret. It's nice to have multiple shapers, but they come at a cost in terms of space and logistics. The obsolet situation doesn't scare me so much, most of the things likely to need attention on a machine like that are basic like bearings or bolts. It's a risk you take with older machines though. I'm in Connecticut and could put that machine to work tomorrow if I could convince my boss to buy it, He has had an eye out for a second production shaper and we have no tilter presently. Point is if it really doesn't work for you shouldn't be hard to move. In the same position I'd certainly have the urge to find a home for it.
    "A good miter set up is like yoga pants: it makes everyone's butts look good." Prashun Patel

Peter ... pm me your number if you want to discuss.

A number of years ago I bought a powermattic shaper with a 4wheel power feeder. I kept the feeder and sold the shaper for the same price I paid thus free feeder.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

That is an amazing machine. Id run not walk for it!
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

C'mon Bill, this is a stealth gloat, yes???

I don't need it, but I'd be all over it if the price was right! I haven't used any SAC machines but I believe they're pretty well built. If you decide to pass on it maybe you'd share the details with us? As I said, I don't need it, but depending on how you define "give away, it might be too good to pass up

good luck,
    JeffD

Just a short follow up ... Peter Q. ended buying the SAC 125 for $400 and I took the power feeder. Moving the beast was not without event! Never is. I purchased new rollers from Western (came in today) and have yet to set everything up. Glad this worked out and that another local and active "Creeker" was able to benefit.

Sac Seuri made great stuff. The build is often more like the SCMI Class models rather than nova. You won't regret it. Older shapers were very well built, better than today for the same price range. The bearings are usually bigger and better but do take some maintenance. Good fence and usually a heavier frame motor than you will find on current machines. you did well. Dave