Thread: Need help pricing carving tools

Need help pricing carving tools

Can I get some help pricing these to sale locally or on the forum, I purchased them a couple of years ago at an estate sale and really have no use for them. Maybe priced per picture and a price for the total lot with carrier.

Thank you. Floyd

4.jpga.jpgb.jpgc-d.jpgh.jpgf.jpge.jpgg.jpg

Name brand carving tools generally hold their value because there's not a lot of difference between a used tool and a new tool. But you have to find someone who wants the particular selection of shapes you have. Also, from looking at your pictures, a lot of your tools are palm tools and many carvers prefer standard handle carving tools - so you have to find the right buyer.

Because of that, I'd recommend you start at about 60 to 70% of today's new cost. For standard handle name brand carving tools, I'd recommend 80%.

If they don't sell at your initial asking price, gradually drop the price and eventually you'll find a buyer.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Mike thank you for the reply, I was thinking $500.00 for the lot that would be $10 for each of the 49 tools and $10 for the carrier plus around $25 for shipping $525.00, Dose that sound fair?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Name brand carving tools generally hold their value because there's not a lot of difference between a used tool and a new tool. But you have to find someone who wants the particular selection of shapes you have. Also, from looking at your pictures, a lot of your tools are palm tools and many carvers prefer standard handle carving tools - so you have to find the right buyer.

Because of that, I'd recommend you start at about 60 to 70% of today's new cost. For standard handle name brand carving tools, I'd recommend 80%.

If they don't sell at your initial asking price, gradually drop the price and eventually you'll find a buyer.

Mike