Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Matsui Precision 2 blade Japanese marking gauge

Matsui Precision 2 blade Japanese marking gauge

Inspired by discussion here involving Derek and others regarding the advantages of the two blade type I ordered this gauge from Stuart at Tools from Japan - bit the bullet on what semed like a fairly high price given the fairly non descript look on the web page. It's at the bottom here: http://www.toolsfromjapan.com/store/...th=356_599_609 , and it arrived after several weeks in the mail this morning.

This isn't to blow hot air. At about $115 it's not one of the very high rent Kinshiro types (out of my range), but having seen it in the flesh though I'm overwhelmed - it's a thing of beauty. The metal parts (stainless or plated (?) and blue steel) look to be ground all over, while the finish on the white oak wooden parts is pure silk - what feels like a carefully flatted satin clear all over. (none of the poured on lacquer we see so often) The corners are all carefully broken - a chamfer of about 0.25mm - no idea how it's done.

Everything is perfectly fitted, and the metalwork is accurately flat and square. The result is that there's absolutely no stickiness - the cutters make this lovely clunk as they drop home into the body.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself, and think the makers (and Stuart) deserve some publicity. It's one of those items that while 100% functional gives pleasure just from looking at and handling it. No idea how Matsui do it, but well done guys. All I have to do now is to figure out how to use it to the same standard...

matsui precision 2 blade kegaki.jpg
    Last edited by ian maybury; 03-24-2015 at 10:21 AM.

I didn't even know such things existed. And that's not the best? Congrats.

Blog Entries
    My only regret to owning one is that I wish I had two. It's such a wonderful tool to use.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Ian,

Yep, pretty nice...I just used mine to mark out the shoulders and tenons on some Cherry. The locking screw is a nice addition, I have several of this style gauge both with and with out the locking screw, for marking tenons the lock is helpful. As you noted, the one from Stu is a bargain.

ken

Ta guys. Didn't realise anybody else had this same gauge by the same maker. They list some nice vernier based versions too.

There's been lots of previous discussion on the detail advantages of the type. The imediate point that strikes me is that the layout while standard Japanese is a really nicely balanced in use. I have a couple of the Western budget variety, and even with re-shaping the pins the very narrow/short fence means they tip very easily in use. This seems very stable in comparison, especially when you reach in over the top with a thumb to press down over the cutters...
    Last edited by ian maybury; 03-24-2015 at 10:25 AM.

Blog Entries
    Ian, mine is without the locking screw for the two blades but it is also matsui. Mine has an ebony face.

I might have to splurge on one of those. I've been searching for a good mortise gauge for quite a while.
    Blood, sweat, and sawdust

Blog Entries
    Congrats! and thanks for that picture! I ordered mine last week after deciding that the price is not so high at all for what you get. I don't have a mortise gauge and I'm glad to think that I hit the nail of the head on the first try with this one.

Brian I saw the gauge you have on matsui's web page, it looks gorgeous http://www.matsui-seimitsu.co.jp/kamakebiki.html
    Did you request it from Stu ?

they also have some intresting looking squares! maybe if we make enough noise Stu might add some more of their stuff to the site.
    http://www.matsui-seimitsu.co.jp/square.html

I think the ebony faced one may be an option Malcolm, they are shown on the leaflet that came with mine.

Don't rely me on me for experienced user feedback Matthew - but for sure it's beautifully made. Even the box is art....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew N. Masail View Post
    Congrats! and thanks for that picture! I ordered mine last week after deciding that the price is not so high at all for what you get. I don't have a mortise gauge and I'm glad to think that I hit the nail of the head on the first try with this one.

Brian I saw the gauge you have on matsui's web page, it looks gorgeous http://www.matsui-seimitsu.co.jp/kamakebiki.html
    Did you request it from Stu ?

they also have some intresting looking squares! maybe if we make enough noise Stu might add some more of their stuff to the site.
    http://www.matsui-seimitsu.co.jp/square.html
    I was pursuing a Kinshiro and so I contacted Tomohito Iida, he has run out of them but presented me with the ebony faced Matsui, and so I bought it. Mine has a brass set screw like the one on the lower gauge but all else is identical to the top gauge.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    I was pursuing a Kinshiro and so I contacted Tomohito Iida, he has run out of them but presented me with the ebony faced Matsui, and so I bought it. Mine has a brass set screw like the one on the lower gauge but all else is identical to the top gauge.
    you mean the blades can be locked together, or just the locking screw?

Blog Entries
    Just the locking screw, it's very similar to the Kinshiro in function.

Blog Entries
    I can't imagine much practical difference between these and the Kinshiro, I can only guess the Kinshiro has more of a hand made feel, but very high tolerance machine work feels quite nice too.

Don't know if it's intended but the two blade gauge while marginally less convenient to set can be used as as a single blade gauge too. The lower blade retracts into the opening in the fence provided the locking screw over the slot/shank of the tool is left free. Once the upper blade is set and the locking screw in the fence tight then the one in the slot can be tightened too.
    Last edited by ian maybury; 03-24-2015 at 4:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew N. Masail View Post
    I can't imagine much practical difference between these and the Kinshiro, I can only guess the Kinshiro has more of a hand made feel, but very high tolerance machine work feels quite nice too.
    There isn't much. I have three twin beam mortise gauges, the one on the left was acquired back in the late 70's early 80's and I haven't a clue about who made it or brand name. The middle one is a Kinshiro and you can see some slight differences between it and the Matsui on the right but functionally there really isn't any other than the Matsui has a locking screw so you can lock the two cutters together. I find that function very useful so the Matsui will normally be the primary marking gauge for a build and the others are used as secondary gauges.