Thread: Minimax FS30

Minimax FS30

Need your opinions on this machine. I found one locally for sale for $2500. Is this a good price in your opinion? Thanks

How old is it and what condition is it in? I don't own one, but I've only heard good things about it. If it were in good condition, I think it would be well worth $2500.
    Blood, sweat, and sawdust

The seller tells me it is 2.5 years old. It looks like it's in great shape from the pics. You can see it here:http://www.ksl.com/?nid=678&ad=33925638&cat=&lpid=

That's a great price. Almost sounds too good to be true. I think these machines are over $5000 new. Where is it located?

SLC, I actually just got a quote from minimax this week for the fs41m the 16" version. They quoted me $3995 for the FS30 and $5295 for the Fs41. I will be going to look at it this evening. My problem is I don't really need it, more of a want. I am inheriting my father's tools someday, and will be getting a 15' powermatic planer and the Delta Dj20 8" jointer. He's disabled now and really can't use them, but I really don't want to take his tools, there's just something wrong with that in my mind. I'm torn.....

$2,500 seems ok. I was quoted $4,000 for a FS30 Smart in late 2012.

Wow, I was off on the price. I think $2500 still seems fair though.

Steve,

The unit in question is the FS30 SMART. Perhaps Erik can chime in and explain what's SMART about it, as opposed to Classic. I was looking at that puppy myself, but can't really justify $2,500 just for a more convenient fence, newer paint job, Tersa cutterhead and generic mobile base. I'm more likely (but still unlikely) to jump on the MM16 available locally for $1,800.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

John,
    i hadn't seen that one. That guy with the J/P also has a K3 Winner he's going to sell as well. I'm torn on the minimax...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Wilde View Post
    John,
    i hadn't seen that one. That guy with the J/P also has a K3 Winner he's going to sell as well. I'm torn on the minimax...
    A K3 Winner? Really? Did he give you any idea of the size and asking price.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Nope, he said he will be selling it soon as well since he's moving and won't have the room for a woodshed. He wasn't sure on a price yet as he was still trying to gauge the used market for a price. Keep your eyes open...

If the seller is a woodworker like yourself,
    and has rarely used it - that should tell you something.

If you can only buy dimensioned lumber, what you need is a jointer.

Most of us don't joint anything wider than 6/4 stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    If the seller is a woodworker like yourself,
    and has rarely used it - that should tell you something.

If you can only buy dimensioned lumber, what you need is a jointer.

Most of us don't joint anything wider than 6/4 stock.
    If only edges are in question, you have a good point. But I wouldn't give up the ability to flatten lumber for anything at this point...and I tend to buy wider stock because I like it.
    -----

OP, at $2500, that FS30 SMART is likely a steal.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by John Sanford View Post
    Steve,

The unit in question is the FS30 SMART. Perhaps Erik can chime in and explain what's SMART about it, as opposed to Classic. I was looking at that puppy myself, but can't really justify $2,500 just for a more convenient fence, newer paint job, Tersa cutterhead and generic mobile base. I'm more likely (but still unlikely) to jump on the MM16 available locally for $1,800.
    Current FS30 Classic is the same as the earlier FS30 Smart. Just new designation, decals, and color scheme.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep