Thread: MFT vs. T-slot style table tops?

MFT vs. T-slot style table tops?

Fellow inmates, I'm trying to decide which system to go with for use w/ my Makita track saw: MFT or T-slotted. One basic assumption I'm making is that I will use a sacrificial skin/scraps in either set up in order to not cut the top, so the concern of chopping the T-slot to useless bits is eliminated. Has anyone compared the 2 systems and shared their experiences/views?

TIA,
    Bradley
    Last edited by Bradley Potts; 03-24-2015 at 1:12 PM.

Blog Entries
    Apples and oranges to me. A spaced pattern of holes allows true settings at various location on the surface. T-slots allow placement at any location along the track but (except for certain spots) have no specific interval of location. Is this just for cutting things on or will it be an assembly/squaring device as well?
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Apples and oranges to me. A spaced pattern of holes allows true settings at various location on the surface. T-slots allow placement at any location along the track but (except for certain spots) have no specific interval of location. Is this just for cutting things on or will it be an assembly/squaring device as well?
    I'm with Glenn. I CNC'd my own supersized "MFT-XL" , and I like that the holes are close to each other, allowing for a lot of flexibility when I use my track saw. I have a standard workbench in my shop that has a T-Track at one end, and it is handy for mounting infrequently used tools, like a scroll saw, a hobby-sized bandsaw, etc. Each tool has a wooden base with T-bolts/knobs that allow it to slide into the track, and then be tightened down for use, and then easily removed to free up the workbench.

Glenn, that's a very good point. In the time since I made the OP, I've hit upon the concept of a hybrid of both systems, which would leave flexibility for all sorts of jigs while also retaining that very useful grid of reference grade holes.

I will use a MFT style - Ron Paulk style - top when I build my new workbench. I'm planning to build it 3x6. I bought the Woodrave router baseplate so I can use pegboard to space the holes. If the holes end up accurate enough, I may occasionally use them for crosscuts - with dogs. I don't see a way to do that with tracks. I also am thinking I want some festool clamps for the top. They make some that allow you to clamp to the surface without projecting much so you can do things like sand the whole surface. I may also have boards I can drop in to have a right angle corner for clamps ups. I think the bottom line is the holes are a lot more versatile and there are more things made that use them. For temporary use with workbench tools, I plan bases with dowels to go into the holes.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    This, for sure...

While I don't use my MFT very often (just when I'm doing home improvement in the house or occasionally as a special workstation in the shop for some task), I like that it's absolutely repeatable due to the precision hole pattern. T-slots are great for hold-downs, but limiting in precision. IMHO, of course...and my opinion was cheap.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The only thing I want a MFT for is to hold a saw rail for crosscutting. With the MFT you can set it up and make a dozen cuts without any fussing each time. Any good way to use the T-track to do that?