Thread: Any Goodell-Pratt enthusiasts out there?

Any Goodell-Pratt enthusiasts out there?

Recently acquired this along with a trunk full of vintage tools.
    It's in amazing shape really, but I can't find it in any catalog.
    (It's got a May 12, 1908 patent date, if that helps)

So, the two questions are: what model is this? AND, more importantly, what exactly, do the bits look like for this model. (it's a screw-type collet)

DSCN5204.jpgDSCN5205.jpgDSCN5203.jpg

Thanks in advance, for any light you can shed on this.

William A. Pratt

Your driver was patented by William A. Pratt (of Goodell-Pratt fame) and was patent number 887,423. The patent was for how the ratcheting system worked. From the drawings it appears to use a standard round shaft with a flat screwdriver like projection on it. Should be fairly easy to find some screwdriver type bits for it. Determine the diameter check several suppliers (like Lee Valley or Garrett Wade). Might also be able to use some of the Stanley ones. The patent does not really mention any thing special about the bits which also suggests they were common back then. Personally I like a lot of the Goodell-Pratt tools. Eventually their stock became so devalued during the great depression that Millers Falls bought them. Still, nice looking tool you have. Be sure to oil the insides to keep it from rusting. Enjoy. Eric

Eric, thanks for that.

According to this list of archimedean screwdriver patents on wkfinetools, patent 887423 relates to model #111.

oldtoolheaven has an illustration from the 1911 catalog on their Goodell-Pratt screwdriver page.

Thanks Andrae

That probably is the same screwdriver (see excerpt below from GP catalog), though the odd thing is that the pictured tool seems to have a knurled, locking ring and exposed shaft; mine does not.
    It may well just be an earlier model.

GP-1.jpgDSCN5205.jpg