Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Most efficent heating type

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    You should consider installing some fans to get the warm air back down from the high ceiling. That will maximize your heating efficiency and comfort level
    When I was a kid oh so many years ago, I used to go to a local service station with my dad. He and the owner were good friends, plus this was back when a service station was just that. They had four stalls to work on cars, plus sold gas. The owner had a clear tube of soft plastic with a fan on the top end and just the opening on the bottom. It was attached so the top was right at the top of the inside of the building and extended down to about 3' from the floor. All it did was take the hot air from the peak and blow it down to the floor. I am sure it cost almost nothing to run and gave lots of pretty warm air where they really needed it. This was in Great Falls, MT so, yeah, we had a bit of cold weather now and again.

I have looked for something like this and have not been able to find anything. The closest I can come are the advertising tubes with the fans where the tube is a guy and he inflates, then partially deflates, then inflates......

Just a simple plastic tube of perhaps 6 mil walls so it could be rolled up and stored away in summer, with a fan on the end.

Nick, the most efficient type of heater is the electric heater as 100% of the energy input heats the building.

Unfortunately it's often the most expensive type to operate.

Any local HVAC company can have a look at your shop, determine the losses, what size of heater you'll need and the lowest operating cost choice.

Regards, Rod.

5 years ago I compared electric to propane and found they were about the same. I'd bet electric is even cheaper now. But of course your area might be different.

Nick

The most efficiency gains will be realized by proper insulation. Everyone is correct on this. I think Iowa is known for getting pretty cold in the winter, and hot in the summer.
    Electric heaters, as Rod pointed out, are technically the most efficient heat devices you can use, but they're also the most costly to operate depending on your location.
    I think the most efficient propane heater run in the mid 80 percent range and #2 fuel oil furnaces can be in the low to mid 90's. There are some more efficient propane systems, but very costly to install.
    If you have Natural Gas to your house that would be my very first choice.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 05-17-2015 at 5:49 PM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I use an electric heater, my shop is well insulated though there are improvements that could be made, and I have to keep ventilation going anyway. I was able to cease using the heater a month ago here in Finland and the temperature in the shop keeps around 10C or 66F, and it's also noticeably colder than the outside a lot of the time too. For additional heat I am building a south wall facing solar collector that will circulate the air through it for additional heating in autumns and spring.

As a contractor who has seen all kinds of heat systems I have come to the conclusion that insulation and vapour barrier (poly) are at least as important or more important to efficient heating than the actual heating choice. Natural gas , electric etc. I live in Alberta and so in my own shop I installed rigid foam under my concrete floor, my foundation is ICF 4FEETHIGH

Sorry guys... Anyhow the walls are r-28 and my cieling is R-50. I heat with two overhead radiant natural gas heaters. It works really well and costs about 50 to 60 dollars to heat. natural gas is the heat source of choice in Alberta so I would only probally have the option of wood as a second choice.

Heat pump.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by paul cottingham View Post
    Heat pump.
    Having lived with three different ground source heat pumps in the last ten years, it has become blatantly obvious to me that regardless how efficient they are in my area, they cost more to install and run because of the cost of electricity, so they are a terrible false economy.