Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Most efficent heating type

Most efficent heating type

Good morning,

Curious what others have for heating in thier shops. Mine is a detached shop and I'd like to be able to keep it 40-45 degree when not using it (in the winter). In Iowa temps can dip to subzero.

Been thinking of adding in a Reznor or other style propane shop heater, I'm just concerned that while trying to keep it 45 degrees I'll burn through 500 gallons of propane.

Any suggestions?

24' x 32' shop, 9' side walls with 20' peak. Insulated on all walls and ceiling. There is a loft (hence the tall center height).

Thanks,

Controlling air infiltration and adding insulation are the keys to energy efficiency. Get your ceiling up to R60, walls to R30 or better, caulk or foam every penetration, sill plates, window cavities etc. Add storm windows or upgrade the windows only if they are pretty bad. Then for minimal fuel use you can use pretty much any 90+ AFUE furnace. You can pay the big bucks to go from 90 to 97, but a small fraction of that money put into additional insulation and sealing will have a much bigger payback.

For my 34x36 2-story barn in MA (so also some subzero days) it costs me between $40 and $60 a month for gas, keeping it at 45 most of the week and 62 on the weekends. I use a small Modine direct vent heater that hangs on the ceiling, it is only an 80% efficient heater. Because of the condition of the building and the issues of trying to vent the hip roof I opted for spray foam insulation throughout, which gave me both excellent air sealing and insulation. My windows are very low end, but I haven't seen the logic for investing probably $15-20K to upgrade them.

I don't know what the most efficient is, but I have been around forced air propane furnace, overhead radiant, oil burning and woodburning stoves, and electrical. They all have pros and cons. If you want easy, it costs a little more. You can heat for cheap if you don't count the costs associated with cutting your own firewood for example. Much easier to call the propane truck. IMHO, actual costs are very similar. I personally would go with whatever matches the pros list you need. I like forced air best, radiant is ok, especially in floor.

I have an unvented wall heater in my shop 99% efficent.

While this building was an old barn, I've gone through and insulated and sealed every crack I can find. For the floor I opted for a "floating" floor of sorts, where I've spanned 2/10's the length of the shop with 1 1/2" insulation between joists which are above a sealed crawl space. All the floors have a minimum of 1 1/2" thick insulation board, walls are a miture of blow in insulation where I had good seal and spray where there were some gaps (cost effective). Windows are all high efficiency.

Only real issue is that I have a sliding door which I have insulated and add rubber gasket around the perimeter.

Sounds like my suspicions are coming to truth, that it really doesnt matter. I'd prefer propane as I have regular propane service.

Mine is propane

You should consider installing some fans to get the warm air back down from the high ceiling. That will maximize your heating efficiency and comfort level

I got a used high efficiency propane furnace for my shop, and 2 years ago had my old AC from the house added to the shop. I also have a wood furnace, and use it to heat above 45. That way I can burn all my scraps. Also have so much wood from the farm, that it is impossible to burn enough to keep it under control. Insulation is really the key to a comfortable affordable shop. Only have to buy the insulation once.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrew View Post
    . Also have so much wood from the farm, that it is impossible to burn enough to keep it under control. Insulation is really the key to a comfortable affordable shop. Only have to buy the insulation once.
    What he said......

Ceiling fans are good, but keep in mind that the root problem of high temps at the ceiling is cold air coming in, settling on the floor and pushing the hot air up. Cutting drafts to an absolute minimum will greatly change the high/low temperature differential to one more acceptable. You can push the air down, but there is still cold air coming in. My house has 11' ceilings, and the floor to ceiling differential is less than two degrees, but the house is extremely tight.

Infiltration costs more money in heat loss than insulation losses. Keep your foam gun handy!

Larry

PS: I tried radient tube heat in a woodshop and although it was efficient it was not good in a woodshop. It cupped boards left under it within 20 minutes.
    Last edited by Larry Edgerton; 03-25-2015 at 6:34 PM.

I agree 100% on insulation and air infiltration as discussed numerous times previously. To be clear, even with all that, the high ceiling will be where the heat goes so you still need to keep it down near the floor where you are working. Otherwise the room will be 65 and the upper area will be 85. Where is the efficiency in that?

Blog Entries
    If you can have both the return air and supply air ducts at floor level it helps tremendously. Normally my shop is just a few degrees above freezing & I turn up the heat when I'm working in there. The floors are concrete but I never get cold feet.

In a house you normally put the returns on the inside wall or hallway and supply air sweeping the outside walls. Both low in Iowa or a heating more than cooling part of the country anyway. In a shop, or in mine anyway I have a hanging heater blowing warm air low and toward the overhead (insulated) door area. R-13 in the ceilings and walls. Keep it at 45 except when working. The very cold sub-zero days, I stay in the house.
    On a propane heat system, I'd insulate what I could. Use the heater to hold at 45 and then use wood heat to bring it up to a nice warm temperature. If you have tall ceilings, put in a ceiling fan as suggested. Warm air naturally rises so in a tall ceiling room that's where its at.
    Last edited by Bill George; 03-30-2015 at 5:37 PM.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

My shop is heated with an off peak boiler. Costs about $100 per month to heat 2500 square feet. I'm in Minnesota.

My detached shop is about the same size as yours Nick. I installed a natural gas furnace in the attic with four drops. I have 8' ceiling and the walls are brick outside block inside with an air cavity along with 1 inch of foam (9" wall). I have a wide range thermostat that I can turn down to 35 degrees when I'm not there but even on the coldest days in Chicago it never goes below 40 degrees and doesn't cost that must to heat.

Henry, the hanging box heaters are not the most efficient, but they are easy. I have a Sterling OV2 200,000 btu in my barn. The nice thing about a Sterling over a Reznor is that the sterling is a direct power vent and can be vented through the wall. No worries about leaks on a steel roof, or any roof really.

Larry