Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drill Press Education Needed

Drill Press Education Needed

I'm having a hard time deciding which Drill Press to save for and from other post it appears to be a common problem.

What are the advantages of purchasing the higher end Delta 18-900L or Powermatic PM2800B versus a Porter Cable PCB660DP or Grizzly G0794?

All of these drill presses have lasers, and the cheaper end with the Porta Cable and Grizzly have a 4" throw versus 6".

What kind of projects would I need more than 4"? I don't turn currently but when I do I plan on getting a lathe.

What are the tolerances like with all 4 of these DP when full extended?

Any and all advice that can help limit a choice would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Andrew Ulsher; 03-25-2015 at 9:19 AM. Reason: PortER Cable

The easy answer is get the most spindle travel you can. You might not need it now, but it is nice to have when you do. Lasers shouldn't be a decision maker, especially since you can get one aftermarket I believe.

The ideal DP would be an older POwermatic variable speed I think, and that's what I have been looking for.

Oh, and it's PortER Cable.

Thanks for pointing out the spelling error.

What projects would the longer spindle travel be worthwhile? A few forum posts state that both the Delta and Powermatic have a decent amount of run out when fully extended at 6". Does this take away from the benefits of a longer spindle travel?

Unfortunately where I live, I can't seem to find decent used tools.

Blog Entries
    I believe you are mentioning a range of machines with the intention of measuring price against each other. You are however, listing machines of different capabilities. The most obvious is swing. I struggled with a 14" swing DP for years and finally got a 17". I would take a 20" in a heartbeat. This capacity may be unimportant to someone else.

As to important capacities and their value to different people; after about 4", spindle travel is unimportant to me in practice. This is undoubtedly due to what I do and how I do it because longer quill travel gets a lot of press. Few of my bits are long enough to take advantage of a 6" quill travel.

The table versatility is important if forward and backward tilt are offered. If the table merely tilts side to side it ceases to become a decision point as I will add a woodworking friendly table anyway. Vertical quill slop is my main enemy in almost all of the current drill presses under $2500 that I have gotten my hands on. Even the PM2800B fails in this area despite its price. How can you drill equal depth holes when you can lower the quill partially and then get up to 1/16" of up and down play when you grab the spindle and lift?

Power may also be a consideration if you will be drilling larger holes (Forstner bits and such) or using the DP for metal work as well as woodworking. Speed range is also important to me; 250 RPM or slower at the low end and 2500 to 3000 RPM at the high end meets most of my needs.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ulsher View Post

Unfortunately where I live, I can't seem to find decent used tools.
    Where is that?
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

I think the Steel City is the best mid priced (~$700)machine out there. I had the 17" belt version. Now I think all they meak is the VS version. I only sold it because I came across a PM1200 VS. The PM2800A had a lot of problems. I am already hearing about problems with the B version. I wouldn't touch Delta with a 10 foot pole unless something drastically changes within the company for the better.

I like 6" quill travel so I don't have to move the table as much. I have yet to drill a 6" deep hole but rest assured if I didn't have the capacity, I would need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    The easy answer is get the most spindle travel you can.
    No. The easy answer is, Get a quality machine that you can get repair parts for.
    Powermatic.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Continuous variable (typically Reeves drive) with low speed capability, low runout, good chuck, platen counterbalance or gear raise, 115/230 volt ... are all features to seek. I have an older Clausing 15" Variable Speed which I like very much - it is similar to the Powermatic of the same capacity ... though slightly less spindle travel. It weighs 300# which is about the limit I'd want for moving around the shop without equipment. A good used one might be purchased for $500+/-. Much more than that and I'd be considering the new 250# Powermatic 18" (2800B) which appears to be a fine machine. The lightest 20" Clausing floor standing models weigh in at 650# and up.

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    No. The easy answer is, Get a quality machine that you can get repair parts for.
    Powermatic.
    I agree with this. I had purchased the Delta 18-900L and had the worst tool experience ever. I'll no longer buy a Delta product again. I just received my new Powermatic PM2800B a couple days ago, got it setup last night and the thing is great. Quiet, smooth and none of the problems I had with the Delta.

We've had at least two fairly comprehensive threads i've been involved in in recent months about buying drill presses Andrew.

Whatever about the US, it's even tougher over here to find a decent mid priced drill - certainly not without running the risk of getting landed with a very poor quality unit. Broadly speaking it tends to be a waste of time asking about spindle runout/tolerances, definitely on the cheaper end. (a) the distributor typically won't quote any (one German importer does, but only on certain drills), (b) the shop won't have a clue and will care less, and (c) the fits on most of these units vary so widely that they go from OK to abysmal.

My fairly typical cheap (maybe $400) Chinese 75mm spindle travel pedestal drill has a lot of slop in the quill, has some wobble in the chuck, vibrates badly when run at higher speeds due to this/badly machined pulleys/cheap belts/cheap motor, and chatters if it's sttempted to drill a hole in steel of much over about 8mm. It also sometimes chatters using stuff like large Forstners, especially if the hole is e.g. angled - badly enough to have the chuck drop out of the taper in the quill. Various plastic handles became brittle and broke over about eight years of ownership. Against that it's OK for non critical wood drilling jobs.

Some of the better/more expensive models in these ranges (which tend to gain weight and precision with an eye to engineering uses - but to retain short spindle travel and reach) are not too bad, but the best advice about seems to be to if at all possible inspect a machine closely and run it (it only takes a moment to get dial gauge on a test bar held in the chuck) before taking delivery. Buying off the shelf from a distance is definitely risky at any normal price point.

It won't necessarily add a lot for everybody, and it's a significant step up in cost - but i've just given up on drill presses, and given the inflated price of old iron here have (as several others on the forum) ordered an RF 31 class mill/drill: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...lling-solution They are not necessarily immune to the tolerance issues of drills, but do seem in general to be a lot tighter and smoother running - and have a decent work envelope and spindle travel. They also have the weight required for stability. Time will tell how it works out, but there's some definite advantages on paper….
    Last edited by ian maybury; 03-25-2015 at 4:06 PM.

Ian - completely off topic, but..............Nicely done in the 6 Nations contest. Nicely done, indeed. Any hope v the All Blacks later this year?
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

I wouldn't know Kent. I'm not a rugby buff (boarding school killed that off), but it came as something of a surprise as they were unexpectedly beaten by Wales the week before. We seem to be one of those team that plays out of its skin at times, and (especially if favoured) can really screw up at others. The standard has ramped up big time since the sport went professional...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David B Thornton View Post
    I agree with this. I had purchased the Delta 18-900L and had the worst tool experience ever. I'll no longer buy a Delta product again. I just received my new Powermatic PM2800B a couple days ago, got it setup last night and the thing is great. Quiet, smooth and none of the problems I had with the Delta.
    I purchased the same when they first hit the market and love it. I guess I got lucky.

That said, I wouldn't touch Delta with a 10' pole, either, due to their "recent" lack of parts inventory should something go wrong.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by ian maybury View Post
    I wouldn't know Kent. I'm not a rugby buff (boarding school killed that off), but it came as something of a surprise as they were unexpectedly beaten by Wales the week before. We seem to be one of those team that plays out of its skin at times, and (especially if favoured) can really screw up at others. The standard has ramped up big time since the sport went professional...
    Well, at any rate, I'm sure the odd pint of Guiness was hoisted after beating out the Bloody Brits, as my close friend from Dundalk refers to them.

It seems Kent the further we get from home the greener we get - but definitely on the Guinness. There's a substantial 2nd or 3rd generation Irish American population though that still thinks we're back in the 18th C. Dundalk might of course be a bit different in terms of outlook..

A general point on drill presses. They in a sense are the cinderella tool, aren't they? For just about everything else in woodworking there's every level of product available from bog basic to pearl encrusted, but for some reason drill woodworking presses these days just don't make it into quality territory. We'll pay a lot of money for e.g. a fancy panel saw, but not the marketeers seem to think a drill press...