Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Router Lift Suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Peterson View Post
    Mine is the Incra PRL-V2 with magnetic inserts. I really like the magnetic inserts where I don't need to fiddle with screws to change the hole size. I also like the fast raise/lower mechanism with a fine tune adjust after it gets close.

Steve
    This is critical. I have a Jessem that uses a spanner wrench to remove/reinstall the inserts and it works great. And I've seen the magnetic ones, too.

But the designs with 3-4 Phillips head screws? That would be a non-starter for me. No way would I mess around with multiple screws each time I wanted to change bits.

+1 for the MastRLift 2 used it today, 3 bit changes and a little smile when I thought back to the "old days" of trying to change bits under the table. Perfect timing for your post. I've thought about the drill and allen key but it takes so little time already I haven't bothered. Probably some day if I'm bored.

Take a look at Woodtek Deluxe Router Lift sold thru Woodworks Supply, it is identical to the Excalibur lift. They will have more in stock soon.

http://woodworker.com/fullpres.asp?partnum=165-545

I've got the Incra Mast-R-Lift II and love it. What I like the most over the JessEm version is the Magnalock rings, and I recently upgraded to the CleanSweep rings and combined with the CleanSweep downdraft box does an excellent job of dust collection (only did a few projects so far with this setup).

The "Incra" Mast-R-Lift II is actually just a rebagged Jessem lift with the Incra magnetic inserts. Everything else is the same. In fact, my Incra MRLII came from Jessem. And the rockler one is also a rebagged jessem lift (with a smaller plate).

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Morassini View Post
    I've got the Incra Mast-R-Lift II and love it. What I like the most over the JessEm version is the Magnalock rings, and I recently upgraded to the CleanSweep rings and combined with the CleanSweep downdraft box does an excellent job of dust collection (only did a few projects so far with this setup).
    I saw the CleanSweep inserts recently, but I already have a full stack of the normal inserts. I am thinking of drilling a few holes in my inserts to be equivalent.

Steve

"One of these days, I am going to cut off an Allen key and utilize a battery operated drill to raise and lower the router. From what I understand, the newer lift(s) are easier and faster to raise/lower. "

I saw an episode on the cooking channel where Alton Brown did this with a rather large pepper grinder. He ground pepper really fast once it was connected to a cordless driver.

As I see it, there are four categories, listed in no particular order. 1) There are the Jessem / Incra options. 2) the Woodpecker / Kreg options, 3) Excalibur / Woodtek, and 4) miscellaneous ones such as Rockler and Woodhaven.

I wish I could put my hands on these and get an actual feel for them. There is much about the Excaliber that I like. They have a link on their page that takes you to Fine Woodworking's review of lifts. I have to think about this some more and perhaps stop in to the Woodcraft store and see what they have on hand. I will let you know what I decide and provide a review.

Anyone out there used or

I have the Jessem Rout-R-Lift. If you are using a midsize router this is a great way to go. It won't handle the larger routers, but for under $200 it is a bargain. I am very happy with it.
    Bracken's Pond Woodworks[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I have the Jessem Masterlift II on an older Bench Dog router table, love it.

Nothing like Cast Iron to hold that baby still.

Anybody have feedback on the Benchdog? Is it made by someone else, or a unique beastie in its own right?
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hollingsworth View Post
    Nothing like Cast Iron to hold that baby still.
    Cast iron is good but my homemade table of 3/4 plywood is over 200 lbs. It holds the router very nicely with near zero vibration felt by the operator. Wood in sufficient quantity works pretty well too. My guide rods for the home made lift are 1 inch diameter. I haven't seen any commercial lifts near that heavy duty.

I was searching through plans the other day and came across this custom made router lift. I don't know if it has any problems and such, but it seems to work pretty well.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnpZLYPDTeE

Quote Originally Posted by David B Thornton View Post
    I was searching through plans the other day and came across this custom made router lift. I don't know if it has any problems and such, but it seems to work pretty well.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnpZLYPDTeE
    That's pretty clever. I wonder how solidly it holds it's level. In the comments he says he uses the lock on the plunge base which sort of negates the point of having a lift. I like my MastRLift II with it's above table everything including lock.
    Last edited by Phil Barrett; 03-27-2015 at 7:21 PM.

I too have the Jessem Mast-R-Lift2, but with the big Milwaukee in it; installed in the General Cast Wing. I love it and it works great, smooth, easy to change bits, an I like the locking inserts which are quick to change. I would be it again in a heartbeat if I ever needed one. I hooked up the Wixley digital gauge on it for great accuracy and recommend that as well.