Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Router Lift Suggestions

Router Lift Suggestions

I am looking to add a router lift to my shop built router table. I searched through the various posts on SMC as well as read some reviews on the web, but thought getting suggestions direct would be helpful.

I have a PC 7518 and love it. My top is a shop built out of double thick 3/4" Baltic Birch. I just have gotten tired of pulling the entire router to change bits, make height adjustments, etc. I have some money set aside from a couple of side jobs and thought this would be the best place to put it.

I am looking at the Jessem Mast-R-Lift2, as well as the comparable Incra, Kreg and Woodpecker models, though would willing look at other options too. I would love to hear what you don't like about yours, or ones you have used.

Thanks for your advice.
    Last edited by Mark Blatter; 03-25-2015 at 12:06 PM.

I have the Jessem in the Mast-R-Lift2, I have the PC 75189 in it and it works really well.

There is no question that it is made very well and it also has a lock on it so even with the big PC router it never moves. It is very smooth both up and down. I also like the fact that I can put so many different routers in it without get any type of an adapter. I have 2 Bosch 1617s and if needed I can always put one of those in if there is a problem with the PC.

The Incra is made by Jessem but has the mag inserts, I am not sure I like those, I like the plastic ones that I can make into zero inserts when I want.

Here is the thread I did when I got the Master R Lift.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...=master-r-lift

I have the Mart-R-Lift II with the incra mag insert and have a PC 7518 in it. It's a really good lift and a perfect fit for the 7518. I'd definitely get it again if it disappeared from my shop tomorrow. On the incra magnetic inserts, I love them. Easy to pop out and they slip into place with a positive click. Some don't like that the magnets grab on to the wrench when changing bits but it's a very minor issue for me. I will be getting their newer inserts with the cut outs for under table dust collection. One slight negative about the MRLII - the leveling screw holes can be very tight. It's probably debris from anodizing. I'd get the right size tap and clean them out before inserting the leveling screws. I didn't do that had a hard time with three of them. As it is, I have one screw that is stuck hard. Not really a problem but with a top dollar product, I expect perfection.
    Last edited by Phil Barrett; 03-25-2015 at 12:58 PM.

I have the Rockler brand lift which is made by one of the major companies (don't remember which). It works very well and is perfect for my uses. Yes, I also had to haul the router out to change bits but now everything is done above the table.

I have the Woodpecker lift with a PCA 7518 mounted in a Rockler table. Love the lift, can change bits in a snap. This is the only lift I have owned but don't know how it could be improved on.

I've got the Kreg PRS3000 in a Kreg router table and have been generally happy with it. Coarse adjustments are sometimes a bit obnoxious owing to the way the "lift wrench" works, but I've learned to adapt.

As far as I can tell, the Kreg is essentially identical to the Woodpecker PRL v2 except in anodizing color - there may be very minor feature differences but nothing that make a significant difference.

Both of these lifts use the plastic twist-lock insert rings which are adequate but I think a set of aluminum inserts would be preferable.

I have a jessem rout-r-lift that came with my table saw, so while I didn't really pick it I've always been very pleased with its functionality. I'm pretty impressed with the quality of Jessum's products in general, but haven't actually used the master lift, looks like an upgrade from the one I have.
    "A good miter set up is like yoga pants: it makes everyone's butts look good." Prashun Patel

Fine Woodworking did a comparison of router lifts in a recent "Tools and Shops" issue. The best overall was the one made by General. In a subsequent issue, they reviewed one that was not available at the time of the comparison and, if I recall correctly, liked that one as well as the General. Might have been the Woodtek, but I'm not certain. I'm still lifting my 7518 by hand, but one of these is on my list. Let us know what you get and how you like it.

I was going to recommend my Woodpecker lift with the detached crank; but when I looked up the model number I found it is discontinued! Anyone know why?

About 6-7 years ago, I was “gifted” with the Woodpecker’s liftand twist ring set.

Works very well with my router table dedicated PC 7518. Robust,very well machined, and operates smoothly. Would buy another if needed.

My shop-fabricated
    router table has a front access door to the motor compartment as well as a lift/tilt top. When done for the day, I lift thetop and blow out the chips, dust, etc., from the lift chain and sprocket. Eventhough the dust collection on my router table is about 95% effective, clearing and cleaning the chain and sprockets will keep the lift operating smoothly and easily.

The only drawback is that it is the first generation Woodpecker router lift (??PRL-V1??) and somewhat slow to raise and lower. One of these days, I am going to cut off an Allen key and utilize a battery operated drill to raiseand lower the router. From what I understand, the newer lift(s) are easier and faster to raise/lower.

The Twist Ring set is very handy as the Wood Workercan match the bit diameter to the ring size providing the most stock support. See -- www.woodpeck.com/twistlockringset.html

Also recommend purchasing a pair of offset collet wrenchesfor the PC7518. I found that it easier to remove the bit as it is not necessaryto raise the collet as high to access the collet nuts.

At one time, Woodpecker offered a reducing collar so the lift would accept a PC 690 router motor and other similar sized routers. I bought one JIC --Just-In-Case -- the PC7518 fails in the middle of a project or is out of service for repair.

Last edited by Ray Newman; 03-25-2015 at 5:47 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Newman View Post
    One of these days, I am going to cut off an Allen key and utilize a battery operated drill to raiseand lower the router. From what I understand, the newer lift(s) are easier and faster to raise/lower.
    Ray, I've been doing this for years and it works fine. I have little need of raising and lowering the lift quickly except for bit changes. Since I don't change bits every time I turn around, the driver has proven quite satisfactory ;-)

Fast-Positioner-sm.jpg

I had one PRL back to Woodpecker for an adjustment I later discovered I could do myself. Glad to have that lifetime warranty. You just don't see those much any more.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I love my Incra with the metal inserts. Magnets hold the inserts in place--they are easy to pop out when changing bits.

The Rockler sale flyer came today--it is on sale for $299.99 beginning March 28th.

Greg Stahl

It looks like there are many brands out there. Every single one appears to get good praise by the owners. It seems like they are all decent quality and you really can't go wrong with any of the major brands.

Mine is the Incra PRL-V2 with magnetic inserts. I really like the magnetic inserts where I don't need to fiddle with screws to change the hole size. I also like the fast raise/lower mechanism with a fine tune adjust after it gets close.

Steve

My home made router table has a home made lift. It is based upon plans in an old American Woodworker magazine. They sell back issues so you may be able to get it. The lift mechanism attaches to the back of the table. It uses 2 1 inch machined steel rods for the router motor carrier to slide up and down on. You put brass bushings in the wooden motor carrier. I piece of 3/8 all thread provides the up and down motion (1 revolution = 1/16 inch). It is solid - motor doesn't move under load - and easy to change height. For router bit changes, you tilt up the top. Makes bit changes quick and easy. I got key metal parts from McMaster Carr.

I've got the old generation Woodpeckers router lift with the twist lock inserts. It does adjust from the top but I think the newer ones have a cable and a crank so you can mount the crank to ur router table. I've thought about sending mine back and for around 100 bucks they will upgrade. Overall it is a fine lift as I have the 7518 porter cable router. I've never used any other type of lift but my uncle said he has one with an automatic adjustment with a digital readout. That sounds really cool to me but I'm not in a huge hurry so adjusting and some test cuts and I'm good to go. It is very heavy and solid and stays true. Woodpecker and Incra make some fine products.