Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: just finished- English Oak Bachelors Chest 1730-1740

Thanks for sharing your work with us Joe,The chest is beautiful.Aj

Absolutely beautiful work. You're a real craftsman.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

So glad I stopped into this forum today..such a treat to see your chest. Stunning work. I am totally in awe.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Spectacular. Smaller pieces are far more difficult - small misalignments are pronounced.
    This piece is like a perfect golf swing.

Who taught you to make drawer slips so well?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    Spectacular. Smaller pieces are far more difficult - small misalignments are pronounced.
    This piece is like a perfect golf swing.

Who taught you to make drawer slips so well?
    Yeah, both unattainable by me despite my efforts!

Fabulous work. Such high attention to detail. I really can appreciate the efforts you put into this.

I always like to see those earlier style pieces, and this is a great one finely done. Wish you had mentioned the desk slide.
    Never seen any pierced brasses quite like those, perfect touch.

Wow, that is magnificent craftsmanship!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks Mel, The brush or comb slide is quarter-sawn white oak. the front of which is veneered with sections of English brown Oak, hammered with hide glue, then cock beaded ....same as drawers fronts. The Brasses are hand cast from originals by Optimum Brasses in England using the correct brass alloy. Londonderry Brasses here in the US carries much of their line but these needed to be obtained from Optimum directly. And thank you for your comments.
    Joe
    IMG_0369.jpgIMG_0370.jpgIMG_1040.jpg

That "arrow" or "dart" banding - did you make that yourself? I assume you would make it by cutting the wood on the bias (about 45 degrees) and putting two pieces together. Is that correct?

If so, how did you cut it? Table saw? And how did you get it to the same width across the whole length?

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Mike, I used a miter jig and stop for the table saw, cut some quarter-sawn English Brown Oak at 45 deg. 1/8 thick. the chalk marks keep the parts oriented correctly. the glue the small beveled edges end to end. giving several 1" x 30-36 " thin strips 1/8 thick. They are stacked on top of each other to make the feather pattern, glued and clamped. Then cut into aprox. 1/16 thick bandings on the band saw
    miter sled with removable stop to cut 1/8" IMG_0053.jpg
    cut offs arranged then glued end to end to make strips 30-36" longIMG_0054.jpg
    1/8" strips glued together to make the feather pattern IMG_0058.jpg
    the resulting thin "boards" are ripped 1/16 thick on the band sawIMG_0059.jpg
    Walnut feather banding from another projectIMG_0051.jpg

Talking

I'm not easily impressed......and I'm impressed.

Stunning, just stunning. Your patience and attention to detail is remarkable.

Stunning was also the first word that came to my mind. Fantastic execution and craftsmanship Joe. Thanks for sharing.

Breathtaking! I would love to have this in my bedroom, but sadly not sure I could ever rise to that level of craftsmanship. Well done!