Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Router Plane - Open or Closed Throat

Blog Entries
    So you guys are cutting dados with a router plane instead of a plow plane? That seems to me like an uphill battle.

I have a Stanley 71 1/2 and haven't figured out how to put a fence on it. I bought Lee Valley irons for it.

Maybe someone can post something on the subject.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    So you guys are cutting dados with a router plane instead of a plow plane? That seems to me like an uphill battle.

I have a Stanley 71 1/2 and haven't figured out how to put a fence on it. I bought Lee Valley irons for it.

My dados are usually cut with a chisel and the router plane is used only on for the final few passes to depth. Using a router plane to cut dados, rabbets or slots is a long process.

The Stanley 71 has a couple of slots on the underside for a fence. Not sure if these were on the #71-1/2. My Sargent router plane doesn't have them. It does have holes in the sole to allow for attaching other components. Currently they are used to hold on a wooden base.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post

If your RP has two grooves in the sole then the bog standard 71 fence will fit but for the Life of Brian, the screws from either of my 71s will not fit the 71-1/2.

If you want to keep it original then get the correct screws but if not then it's not that difficult to tap new holes with modern threads. There should also be two countersunk holes for attaching a sub-plate.
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

Quote Originally Posted by Hilton Ralphs View Post
    Ok you guys have sold me on the Veritas. Placed an order. It now only comes with 2 blades, chisel (like my face...not) and normal 1/2". The original 1/4" is now part of the 'Imperial' pack. Wish Lee Valley would allow you to choose a variety of blades be it Metric or Imperial for a pack price.
    Hi Hilton -

Our system can't handle variable sets....but our service staff can...shoot 'em an email, and they should be able to help you out....

Cheers,

Rob
    ( in Toronto to see The Decemberists)

Thanks Rob, I'll do that on my next order.

I just ordered one as well. Did you order any additional blades? I only got a 1/4" blade in addition to the stock 2. Figured I'd use it for a while before buying any other blades.

I didn't buy any additional blades. Once I work out what I need, I'll ask customer service to give me batch price as per Rob's suggestion.