Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Router Plane - Open or Closed Throat

Router Plane - Open or Closed Throat

Greetings to all. I am in the market for a router plane. Have looked at all the ebay buys, Lie Nielsen, and Veritas. After much searching, I have decided that I really don't know how someone decides whether to buy an open-throat, or a closed throat plane. Can someone tell me what the major advantages/disadvantages are to either or both?

Thanks,
    Doug

The open throat version allows you to use the router plane with the blade leading, similar to a bullnose plane. You can then get into tight corners or the end of a stopped dado. However most of the newer models like the Veritas allow you to rotate the blade from the closed mouth to the other side which is then essentially and open mouth.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. If you want vintage open mouth get the Stanley 71, if not get the Stanley 71-1/2. The advantage of the Stanley 71 is that the bridge allowed you to see what the blade was doing.

Lie-Nielson just copied this but Veritas modelled theirs on the better 71-1/2 and made it better.

The large Router plane from Veritas is the most versatile in terms of blade choice and add-ons. However there will be some old fuddy duddy who will bitch about the handles but that's their problem.
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

Thank you Hilton. I appreciate the response. I did see that the Veritas blade can be moved to the other direction, or even 90 degrees for that matter. I originally had that one picked out. Think I will go ahead and make a purchase.

Thanks again!!
    Doug

The nice thing about the Veritas is that it's > $100, so you will get a $15 gift card towards yr next purchase if you buy before Friday.

Er no. Buy it tomorrow, Friday or Saturday but not today.

Remember you need to spend $100.01 or more to get the 15% back in gift cards.

If you're considering string inlay at some stage then get the optional fence upfront as it will be cheaper.

Got my days wrong. Forgot today is 3/25. Thanks.

I have the LN and the Veritas. I prefer the Veritas by far. For what its worth, Im usually a LN guy when it comes to bench planes. The Veritas just feels amazing to me and the array of cutters gives it alot of versatility! Either way, the router plane is never far from my benchtop!

Blog Entries
    The large Router plane from Veritas is the most versatile in terms of blade choice and add-ons. However there will be some old fuddy duddy who will bitch about the handles but that's their problem.
    +1 on Veritas most versatile.

For us old fuddy duddy types there is a handle hardware kit.

If one is just removing small slivers for inlay, then a closed mouth may be helpful. Once the blade is making a second pass the only use of the mouth is for registration on the stock.

On narrow stock having an open mouth as on the Stanley #71 or Sargent #62 can be a disadvantage. There are ways to work around it.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Derek Cohen summarised the differences between the Stanley 71 and 71-1/2 pretty well in this post.

I have owned the large Veritas for nearly three years.
    I intend to be buried with it, so I can clean dadoes and fit tenons in the hereafter.

DON'T LOSE THE LITTLE SCREW that holds on the fence.
    You might be forced to sweep your shop.

DAMHIKT

Thanks for tip Jim. Do you have any of the additional blades or just the ones that come with it?

Just trying to decide which sizes to get.

It came with three blades.
    The 'pointed' blade is really useful for stopped dadoes.

I haven't needed any others, to date.
    One oddity to note about these - the larger blades are removable from their shafts.

This makes getting a square grind challenging.

Before honing, I take the blade to be honed and install it in the router plane.

I prop up two plywood blocks of the same thickness next to my coarse stone.
    With the blade just touching the stone, I make a few swipes to establish a back bevel.

That back bevel will show if you need to grind square or skewed to get a straight cutting edge.

If I can find the video that showed this, I will attach it later.
    Don't presume the blade will be ground in line with the shaft.

Im gonna echo Jims comment about being buried with the Veritas router... I love it! In fact, while using the tool I could care less that it isnt open mouth. I bought the open mouth LN first with the idea that if I needed a closed mouth Id buy the LV. I am considering selling the LN now lol

Blog Entries
    Put another LN bench plane fanboy down squarely on the side of buying the Veritas router plane. I've had mine for a few years now and absolutely still love it.
    - Mike

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Ok you guys have sold me on the Veritas. Placed an order. It now only comes with 2 blades, chisel (like my face...not) and normal 1/2". The original 1/4" is now part of the 'Imperial' pack. Wish Lee Valley would allow you to choose a variety of blades be it Metric or Imperial for a pack price.