Thread: Niroflex 2000 Stainless Steel Mesh Safety Glove

Niroflex 2000 Stainless Steel Mesh Safety Glove

Anyone ever use these or something similar? On sale in Canada right now, may be an added safety measure for ripping on the tablesaw etc?

I don't think they would add any/much protection on the table saw and may increase the danger factor due to the lack of tactile dexterity. I think they would be great for butchers in the meat industry, wood carvers, and maybe offer some protection on the bandsaw. I have an expensive pair of Kevlar gloves that I never could get comfortable with.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I don't think I would use that glove on either a tablesaw or bandsaw. I'd be concerned about the teeth snagging the mesh and pulling my hand into even more damage, like operating a drill press while wearing a necktie.
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

I was hoping someone actually had some experience to pass on.

Their concerns are legitimate. I work in all kinds of weather and use gloves. On the tablesaw they are dangerous, and I would assume on the bandsaw as well. You instinctively know where your fingers are, but not a glove. I have been cutting in the cold and had a glove hit a blade, and it tugs your hand that way. Now this was cotton, and I am thinking with metal it may just keep pulling. I would not use them.

I see a lot of safety equipment designed and sometimes mandated by some bureaucrat from the land of OZ that is anything but safe, and many times quite the opposite. I am thinking that this is one of those things.

I can't speak to the specific glove but in general these are aimed at knives in the hand, butchers, kitchen workers, woodcarvers, etc. Or at workers handling glass, sharps, working on meat slicers, etc. Not, so far as I understand it aimed at rotating machinery where I agree they would be dangerous.

At tablesaw would blow right through those things in an instant, and worse yet, pull your hand into the blade. Bad bad bad.

Blog Entries
    I know people do it but, for me wearing gloves while operating a shop machine goes together like wearing gloves to play the piano. Its just that one is only awkward; the other is awkward and will hurt you ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler