Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk pressure washers

Let's talk pressure washers

In the past I have owned 2 pressure washers, one from each of the big box orange or blue stores. Both with Honda engines. Both were a large dissapointment; one motor died after less than a year, and one with poor plumbing components.
    I am not looking for a professional tow-behind-my-truck machine, but one in the $400-$600 range that will last and provide years of service for home use.
    Any suggestions.

In for answers as well. I am shopping for one soon, too.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

I feel strongly that small gas motor tools are a rent not buy item. Unless you're using it weekly, the maintenance just outweighs the fun of ownership.

FWIW and all...

I stepped up and bought a nice Landa unit for ~$1600. after seeing numerous cheaper units with problems. Haven't regretted it for a moment.

I bought a DeWalt unit and have been satisfied with it. I've owned it for a couple of years now. I don't use it a whole lot but it starts right up when I do use it. No engine problems, no pump problems. Has a Honda engine.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Gold View Post
    I feel strongly that small gas motor tools are a rent not buy item. Unless you're using it weekly, the maintenance just outweighs the fun of ownership.

FWIW and all...
    Good advice that.

I don't know anything about pressure washers, but got a sales circular the other day from Northern Tool and they have several units "on sale" (plus a 20% off coupon up to $250) ranging across prices from a few hundred to a couple grand IIRC. Might be something in there worth looking at.

In my quest to get rid of as many small engine machines as possible I sold my Ridgid 3000 psi pressure washer and bought a 2000 psi electric......it starts up every time

Now, what I need is a micro-minature pressure washer to clean small Corian plaques and pens that I laser engrave. Maybe someone here knows of a small high pressure low volume pump that I can purchase. Its a royal pain to have to get out my full size pressure washer just to clean a small plaque or a couple of pens.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Gold View Post

FWIW and all...
    I have a Craftsman gasoline engine pressure washer that I have had 11 or more years. I have had to rebuild the carburetor at least once, maybe more because of leaving gas in the tank that gummed the needle up (stuck in the metal housing & had to be pulled out with wire pliers). Many years ago I got a used Snap On electric pressure washer that served me well, but didn't have the pressure nor volume of water the Craftsman has. There is a fuel shutoff valve on the Craftsman, and I have ran it after finishing washing with the valve turned off and run the engine out of gas; yet there was still gas left in the tank. That would be my only argument for an electric one. Engine has worked fine as has the pump. I try to limit the gas that I put into the tank so I can run it out dry when I will finish with it. Cannot recall the cost exactly but think it was in the $400-$500 range when bought.
    Leaving unused gas in the tank for months or until the next year WILL most likely create starting problems due to the ethanol in the gas turning to a sticky mess that will stick the needle and float were it will not get any gas to run. That is if you forget to run it dry.
    Universal Laser ILS 12.150D (48"x24") 135 watts total, with 60 watt and 75 watt laser cartridges. Class 4 Module (pass thru ability). Photograv 3.0, Corel X6, Adobe Design Standard CS4 Suite, Engrave Lab laser Version 8, Melco Single Head Comercial Embroidery Machine, The Magic Touch System with Oki C711WT printer, and Graphtec CE6000-60 plotter.

I have a nice North Star unit I bought from Northern Tool. I went gas with the nicer Honda engine. I've had it about 3 years now and even with me 'forgetting' to run it dry (get all the gas out before winter), it has never failed to fire up by at least the 3rd pull. Once it has been fired in the spring, one pull does it.

Gas is nice because it is a bit more portable than electric. Gas is also cheaper than an equivalent electric. You may need a long length of extension cord pulling 240 V for the electric, too. It all depends on the HP you want and the power you want out of your PW. I spray my house and clean pool decking and driveway and I wanted power to amputate my foot with. I even used my PW to dig out a stubborn tree (boy, that was messy but worked great!)

I also went with a Cat brand triplex pump. These are the best pumps out there.

Get a nice hose with a nice reel and a variety of tips to choose from. Look into a turbo nozzle as well...good ones are in the $40-60 range and worth it. Talk about spraying power!! (insert Tim 'The Toolman' Allen grunts here)

If I remember, I'll update this post later with the exact model I got and what I paid.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

http://www.mitm.com/products/pressure-washers/cd-electric-series/CD-1002-3MUH/12/

Mi-T-M electric pressure washer for me. Had it for three years now with heavy use. I've had it running for three hours straight jetting frozen water mains last winter. Keeps om going.

I have a Simpson 3500 psi unit that I bought in 90 for work and it is still going strong.

I have a lot of small gas engines - most of it Stihl - never have problem even with starting after winter with full tank. Maybe I am lucky? My pressure washer from HD for last 4 years of very occasional use never give me problem.
    Biggest plus of gas pressure washers - higher pressure it can create. Plus in my opinion - electricity and water not a good mix. Don't be afraid of buy good gas pressure washer.
    Ed.

Quote Originally Posted by Eduard Nemirovsky View Post
    I have a lot of small gas engines - most of it Stihl - never have problem even with starting after winter with full tank. Maybe I am lucky? My pressure washer from HD for last 4 years of very occasional use never give me problem.
    Biggest plus of gas pressure washers - higher pressure it can create. Plus in my opinion - electricity and water not a good mix. Don't be afraid of buy good gas pressure washer.
    Ed.
    As do I. But Stihl has fuel treatment added to their oil mix for the gas I believe. I have a 029 Farm Boss chainsaw that is 17 years old, and still has the original sparkplug in it. Used nearly every year for cutting trees and wood. Pole saw and weed eater too - and ZERO trouble with them. The chainsaw sat unused for almost 2 years and had gas still in the tank - didn't start on the first or second pull - but it cranked and ran just like it was put up the week before.
    Universal Laser ILS 12.150D (48"x24") 135 watts total, with 60 watt and 75 watt laser cartridges. Class 4 Module (pass thru ability). Photograv 3.0, Corel X6, Adobe Design Standard CS4 Suite, Engrave Lab laser Version 8, Melco Single Head Comercial Embroidery Machine, The Magic Touch System with Oki C711WT printer, and Graphtec CE6000-60 plotter.

Before I bought my DeWalt gas pressure washer, I had 120V electric pressure washers - mainly to avoid the problems of gas engines. But each of the electric washers gave up - the motors burned up. And they did not have as much pressure as the gas units.

I'm sure that if you got a 240V unit and a good pump, it would work as well as a gas unit.

This reminds me - I should go out and crank mine up and run it a bit.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I just cranked mine up last weekend, Mike. I'm having my pool refinished along with major landscaping around it. It works nicely to clean up the cartridge filters in my pool filter as well as the general pool equipment.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.