Thread: Suggestions for a clear matte finish

Suggestions for a clear matte finish

I have recently used Valspar clear gloss lacquer on a few projects and was really happy with the outcome. I have another project which I would prefer to have a matte finish. I have looked locally but have not found a clear matte lacquer product. Does such a product exist?
    If a product is not available I may just use the clear gloss lacquer and then using liberon 0000 steel wood to remove the gloss once it has dried.
    Any other ideas for achieving a clear matte finish?

Do you mean matte or satin? Home centers sell brushing and aerosolized lacquers by Minwax, Watco and (possibly still) Deft. I'm partial to the Deft.

Krylon Matte Acrylic lacquer. Also, Krylon artists finish. Both lacquer based.
    faust

You can also put on a satin finish and "buff" with a gray scotchbrite pad and achieve a finish closer to matte.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

+1 on Krylon
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

I use Cabot lacquer. It comes in High gloss, semi gloss, satin and matte. It gives me great results.
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

All the above will work. I keep a pint of Behlens deglosser on hand. Added to your finish coat and the amount added adjusts the amount of non-gloss.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have not been able to locate the Cabot products locally yet. I did see the Krylon Matte finish but I wasn't sure if it was lacquer based or not. I'll give that a try.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Brown View Post
    I use Cabot lacquer. It comes in High gloss, semi gloss, satin and matte. It gives me great results.
    Glad to hear that. Lowes has been my local source for Deft lacquer and apparently Lowes has stopped carrying it in favor of Cabot's. I did not particularly care for MinWax Lacquer.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

I used Cabots on a couple desks this winter. I was not as impressed as I was with Deft, but that might be because of application conditions being cold.

I just went to my local Lowe's looking for the Cabot Lacquer and could not find it. All they had was Cabot Spar Varnish. When I got home I looked at Lowe's website. I chicked on the Cabot Lacquer picture and it took me to a page where the description said "Cabot 11.5-oz Clear Satin Spray Lacquer " but the can in the picture had the words "Satin Spar Varnish". Do they have things labeled wrong or is the Spar Varnish really a lacquer based product?