Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I need a new roof-what questions do I ask the roofer?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    I HATE working with the harness/safety lines!
    First time you slip on a roof and nearly fall off you'll have a new appreciation for the harness and the safety line.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    Steepest pitch on my roof was only 4/12 so it was easy to work on, but many newer homes are up to 12/12. I asked the roofer how they work on steep pitches, he showed me his special roofers shoe's with a replaceable sole that was a lot like a soft grippy foam rubber. He said it takes a while to be able to trust them. I noticed most crews around here aren't tied off as they should be.
    NOW you tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    Steepest pitch on my roof was only 4/12 so it was easy to work on, but many newer homes are up to 12/12. I asked the roofer how they work on steep pitches, he showed me his special roofers shoe's with a replaceable sole that was a lot like a soft grippy foam rubber. He said it takes a while to be able to trust them. I noticed most crews around here aren't tied off as they should be.
    There were lots of roofs replaced here in the wake of Sandy. Lots of different roofers and NObody used any safety gear. These roofs aren't 12/12 but they aren't shallow, either. I know I wouldn't have been comfortable walking around like they were.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post

...... I have a couple of house I built about 14 years ago with Certianteeds best shingles that are failing. I went and looked at them, but what can I do at this point. Makes me look bad. .....
    I had the same problem with Certainteed shingles on my shop and was able to get about $650 back from Certainteed on 18 squares of 15 year old shingles. I had my original receipt which helped.

Having been a contractor, would never allow any contractor to furnish material on my job. You never know if he is about to file bankruptcy, flee town or what. If he charges material to your address and does not pay for it, you are stuck for the bill. Even if you paid him for the material up front. Better to pay the supply house.