Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I need a new roof-what questions do I ask the roofer?

Blog Entries

I need a new roof-what questions do I ask the roofer?

I need a new roof. What questions do I ask the roofer?
    thanks
    Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by dennis thompson View Post
    I need a new roof. What questions do I ask the roofer?
    thanks
    Don't have a lot of experience with this one. Our last roofer was a friend from church who is a general contractor, but these lists looks like a good place to start:
    http://www.greatdayimprovements.com/...re-hiring.aspx
    http://www.angieslist.com/articles/6...hen-hiring.htm
    http://www.certainteed.com/resources...onalRoofer.pdf
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

license and proof of insurance; product warranty; will they remove the existing roofing?; is new drip edge included?; flashing around chimneys, vents etc.?
    If it might also be time for new gutter and downspout you might get a little better package deal on both.

How far up do they bring the ice and water shield. Is ice and water also used on all valley's.

Will they make sure the sauffit and roof is properly vented and if not make sure it is on completion.

What gauge drip edge and size do they use.

20-30 year vrs lifetime shingle.

Do they remove the gutters and and overlap the ice and water onto the facia 4" then put the gutters back on. Few do but its important.

Proof of insurance!

Warrantee on both materials and workmanship.

Do they use subcontractors or payroll employees.

If you are not ok with supporting modern day slavery and slave labor you might insist the company does not sub contract out.

Quote Originally Posted by James Tibbetts View Post
    license and proof of insurance; product warranty; will they remove the existing roofing?; is new drip edge included?; flashing around chimneys, vents etc.?
    If it might also be time for new gutter and downspout you might get a little better package deal on both.

Quote Originally Posted by James Tibbetts View Post
    +1.

I also ask:
    1)What brand and type of shingles. Then web search that a bit. Dont just let him tell you "30 year shingles". Check the brand and if its a good one, WRITE THE BRAND AND TYPE INTO YOUR CONTRACT. This reduces chance of bait and switch.
    2) Check the shingle mfgr website - what has to happen to put/keep your warranty in force. This matters because sometimes you have to use an installer who is "certified" to install that mfgr's product. If so, confirm your guy has that cert and write into the contract that the work will be done in accordance with that cert.
    3) Confirm (and write in contract) that the work will be done in a way that meets your insurance company requirements. Ask your agent - depending on your location the insurance (not just city) can require inspections to confirm the work is done a particlar way. If it isnt, they wont cover you.
    4) Cleanup and haul off. Is that included in the price? Write it down.
    5) Ask what the price will be to replace rotted decking. Document this up front or you can get gouged. Once the old shingles come off, you are at their mercy man. You have to pay whatever it takes.
    6) I always ask if they are using a nail gun or hand nailing. I just want to know, and for me it can be a tie breaker. I just prefer hand nailed. Dont know its any better or worse. Its just my personal preference.

I dont mean to lecture you Dennis and I hope you dont take offense. Its just very easy to get goofed over by roofers. DAMHIKT.

Final word of advice, and some here may disagree - I NEVER use an out of town roofer, or one who is in temporary quarters like an empty storefront. Yes, their price will be lower - IMO, thats because he's NOT going to come back from Michigan to fix it if your roof leaks. I only use local roofing companies with at least than 5-10 years in the same community.

Hand nailing is better. With gun nailing you get a high percentage of angled nails that tear the shingles. Also a good idea to get high wind nailing. The difference is small, two extra nails per shingle strip.
    Bracken's Pond Woodworks[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Good heavens. I doubt there is any professional roofer out there who hand nails today. That would drive the cost up to crazy levels. I hand nailed my roof 26 years ago but would never even think about doing it today. Plus the extra high wind nailing takes less than a second per shingle.

I disagree that nail guns are any kind of a problem. Professional roofers will know how to use them correctly. You want to hire a roofer whose business is dependent on word of mouth referrals, and as others have said,

PROOF OF INSURANCE!
    Last edited by Dave Zellers; 03-25-2015 at 10:27 PM.

Dave,

I had a new roof installed 3 years ago. My contractor said he doesn't like gun nailing as it tears the shingles. He and his crew hand nailed it.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    Good heavens. I doubt there is any professional roofer out there who hand nails today. That would drive the cost up to crazy levels. I hand nailed my roof 26 years ago but would never even think about doing it today. Plus the extra high wind nailing takes less than a second per shingle.

I disagree that nail guns are any kind of a problem. Professional roofers will know how to use them correctly. You want to hire a roofer whose business is dependent on word of mouth referrals, and as others have said,

PROOF OF INSURANCE!
    You're right Dave. There are definitely fewer and you pay a bit more around here. Thats why I called it a tie breaker for me, rather than a must-have.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Dave,

I had a new roof installed 3 years ago. My contractor said he doesn't like gun nailing as it tears the shingles. He and his crew hand nailed it.
    It doesn't tear the shingles if you take the time to set the pressure correctly and hold the gun flat to the shingle.

I've had to battle with guys who didn't care that their sheathing guns were shooting the nails halfway through the sheathing. They thought it didn't matter. Of course it matters. Nail guns just require some time learning how to use them. After that, they are amazing.

Dave.....I wasn't debating using the nail guns rather just stating my roofing contractor doesn't like them and chooses to hand nail roofs. I got 3 bids from 3 different contractors. The guy I chose wasn't the cheapest bid nor the most expensive bid. His bid was the middle bid as far as expense. Some contractors still nail by hand.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

If it matters to you, I would insist upon plywood sheathing over OSB. My original quote came with OSB. The upgrade to 1/2" plywood was $400. I sleep better at night now.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I hear ya. Differences in location I suppose. Where I live it would truly be hard for a hand nailer roofer to make a living competing against the other guys.

Permit! We used a licensed roofer, and his office manager was to get the permit. Apparently it was forgotten. Shame on me to not notice that it was not posted on house. I called him and he called and got it done. We have online permit lookup on city website, so we can see permit status, and inspection status.

Finally, don't pay final bill until it passes inspection! (Our insurance company gave the roofer a "down payment" to cover materials and part of labor, which is typical.)

Most of the guys I work with in my roofing days could hand nail,I could hand nail about 7 squares of field on a good day,With a Coil nailer I could double that,easy.
    Never know when the compressor is going to poop out so I would think any decent roofer could hand nail.If he wants to eat.
    Plywood instead of OSB is better in my opinion holds nails better.Aj