Thread: Introduction

Introduction

I've been lurking for a long time and finally joined. I'm a hardcore DIYer which drives my wife crazy because I absolutely refuse to pay anyone to do anything. It's not that I'm cheap, I just hate paying someone to do something that I can do myself (not without failures). Saving money on other things allows me to waste it on tools!!! At least that's what I tell the Budget Committee (AKA the wife).

I've dabbled in woodworking for many years, but spent more time working on cars and home remodeling projects. I've been trying to get more into woodworking over the last few years. I've spent the last year on a rampage upgrading my shop started by replacing my Ryobi BT3100 table saw with a Grizzly G0661. It's not a saw that seems to get a lot of love, but I like it and anything was an upgrade over the Ryobi. I really like the 36" rip capacity, not that I use it that much, but it's nice to have extra space plus I added a router table to it. To me it was a good compromise between most saws with a 30" versus 50". I really wanted more of a true hybrid, but at the time the G0715 had a lot of complaints with the alignment and I actually felt like the internals of the G0661 were better than the G0715.

I've also built an outfeed table, miter saw station, workbench and a bunch of jigs. Other new tools include a Grizzly G0513ANV drill press, Powermatic mortiser, Dewalt 734 planer, JET 16-32 drum sander and a bunch of other stuff the wife doesn't know about. I also added dust collection, but that's still a work in progress.

I don't know about the rest of you, but sometimes part of the satisfaction of turning out some nice projects with crappy tools felt a lot better. Now there's less excuses having better tools, but I know a lot of you have even better tools!!!

Welcome to the Creek!

Welcome Tony. Hope you like it here.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.