Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you have a double router table? Did you decide not to build one?

Do you have a double router table? Did you decide not to build one?

I've got it in my head that I want a double router table. (Maybe it's the sale Woodpecker has on the V2 lift and Porter Cable 7518-2 combo right now that makes me think I NEED a double router table.) Since I'm going to take the space to create a router table and I have the room in my shop I'm thinking why not have two in one table? Won't this make cabinet door and drawer construction more efficient? I don't think many people balk at the idea of having multiple routers, and have seen posts from some that keep multiples of the same router to avoid bit changes of often used bits. So why not two routers in a table?

I would really appreciate some insight from those who have or have used a double set up. Did it make sense for you? What was your fence set up? Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

For those of you who have considered and then abandoned plans to build one what were your points of contention?

Let the discussion begin!
    Last edited by Stuart Welsh; 03-26-2015 at 11:30 AM.

Do I understand correctly that you are wanting to build a pair of router tables? The title makes it sound a little like you are going to mount two routers in one table. I had two router tables for a long time and I would still have two if I didn't need the space for other equipment. Some router setups, like the lock miter bit for example, are tedious to get right and it is nice to leave your setup intact when you need a router table for something else.

If you regularly do projects where having a dual router table setup would make things more efficient, I see no reason to avoid the idea. While I get by with just one router table surface, there have been a few times that having two spindles available would have been quite convenient.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    Do I understand correctly that you are wanting to build a pair of router tables? The title makes it sound a little like you are going to mount two routers in one table. I had two router tables for a long time and I would still have two if I didn't need the space for other equipment. Some router setups, like the lock miter bit for example, are tedious to get right and it is nice to leave your setup intact when you need a router table for something else.
    Sorry Art, I was a bit confusing and I have corrected my post. I do not want to build a pair of tables but rather a single table with two routers. Your question does bring up the concept of two tables though. Placed adjacent to one another they would serve the same purpose but be more flexible. My original plan has been to have a stand alone router table and a router mounted in my table saw extension. That lends itself to issues of having the router fence set up on the table saw and finding you need to break it down to do a quick cut on the table saw...
    Last edited by Stuart Welsh; 03-26-2015 at 11:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    If you regularly do projects where having a dual router table setup would make things more efficient, I see no reason to avoid the idea. While I get by with just one router table surface, there have been a few times that having two spindles available would have been quite convenient.
    If you don't mind elaborating Jim, what are those times in which you wish you had two spindles?

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Welsh View Post
    If you don't mind elaborating Jim, what are those times in which you wish you had two spindles?
    If you are fitting a relatively complex piece that needs multiple contours after fitting, it would be nice to be able to fit it and then do those multiple bit operations simultaniously. And other example might be if you were making a batch of something...let's say a batch of candle stands or chairs where you need to mill a slot and then run a dovetail bit through it. Yes, you can do that by changing the bits, but for "extreme consistency" when multiple bits are involved in the same place, being able to set them both up and insure they are properly indexed on scrap and then be able to run the two operations simultaniously on each part.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Nothing wrong with having a double table. I've seen a triple one.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    Nothing wrong with having a double table. I've seen a triple one.
    I remembered there was one on here somewhere. Not sure what the current state of this is though. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...er-Table-build
    And there was trouble, taking place...

I have two routers in my table saw (left wing & right-side table) that have come in handy several times.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

They do it with shapers, why not routers?
    Heavy_Duty_Double_Spindle_Shaper.jpgmultishaper.jpg

If you do a lot of rail and stile cabinet door work, it would make a lot of sense. One for stick cuts and one for cope cuts. One set-up for each, and after some experimental cuts on waste stock, you could knock out a whole kitchen full of cabinets in no time. If you have the space in your shop/studio, I say go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Welsh View Post
    Sorry Art, I was a bit confusing and I have corrected my post. I do not want to build a pair of tables but rather a single table with two routers. Your question does bring up the concept of two tables though. Placed adjacent to one another they would serve the same purpose but be more flexible. My original plan has been to have a stand alone router table and a router mounted in my table saw extension. That lends itself to issues of having the router fence set up on the table saw and finding you need to break it down to do a quick cut on the table saw...
    The original reason for double spindle molders was to have one spindle rotating in the opposite direction of the other.

This allowed you to mount two identical cutters, one left and one right and pattern shape in the correct grain direction by moving from spindle to spindle.

That's an incredible feature.

Since router bits only come in one hand, I don't see the need for two in one table........Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    They do it with shapers, why not routers?
    Heavy_Duty_Double_Spindle_Shaper.jpgmultishaper.jpg
    Double spindle molders make sense because one spindle rotates in the opposite direction to the other.

Ever seen reverse direction router bits?

Regards, Rod.

I'd think it more likely to be set up with cope on one and stick on the other for door production rather than opposite directions. (And which way does the third head go on the triple?

Those triple shaper setups are used mostly for cabinet doors...cope, stick, and raised panel. I also have seen a couple triple router setups. Count me as one who wants to make a double router table. Just a few years back several (Woodpecker and Incra included) made double router tops, but no more.

Right now, I have two router tables, a temporary one to put across sawhorses, and several small bench top models. I like to get set up for whatever I am doing, let's say cabinets, and have a table for T&G, one for small roundovers, Cope, stick, panel, plus small, cheap routers set up for edge trimming, chamfer, 1/4" roundovers, formica trimming, etc.

I know this sounds crazy, but I have picked up so many routers cheap on CL ($10 to $80) that is makes this possible without breaking the bank. I am in the process of setting up my $80 Bosch router permanently for dados right now.

I am fortunate to have the room, so why not?
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.