Thread: Murphy Bed Hardware

Murphy Bed Hardware

I will be building a Murphy Bed in the next couple of weeks and am wondering if anyone on this forum has done so. I am especially interested in the hardware kit you used. Any and all input is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Dave

When I built our Murphy bed, I used the Create-A-Bed hardware, and provided plans. I bought the standard kit, for full size mattresses, which ran me $299. It worked great, easy to open and close. I plan to make another in the near future and plan to use the same kit.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

We built several of these at my old shop. The Create-A-Bed hardware works great. As I recall, we made changes after the first couple to make them better. We made the sides out of two layers, with about a 3/4" space in between. This provided a stronger and more stable side, plus gave room to run electrical so it was hidden. We also created a bottom brace on that connected the two sides. It ran right at the bottom so it wasn't in the way when the bed was closed. We found that using hardwood ply is the only way to go due to weight and strength.

If I was going to make another one, I would spend more time on the 'headboard' so it looked better. I would also look at designing some type of folding shelves on each side to serve as night stands.

Good luck

I've built two, using the create-a-bed parts kit. You do have to be a little selective about the mattress. Mattresses have been getting thicker. Some are now 14" thick, and may not fit. Ikea is one source of reasonable-price, reasonable-thickness mattresses.

I also used Create-A-Bed, and their plans, Queen size, with cherry plywood. Very pleased with result.

I've also built two with the Create-a-Bed hardware. Pretty easy to build and modify. One thing worth noting is there is a deluxe kit which doesn't require the distinctive fold-out feet ( the little rectangles in the middle of each panel) so you can really disguise the bed. The deluxe kit also has different hydraulics, so there is no latch required. I've used both kits, and I prefer the finished appearance of the deluxe kit, but that's just me.

Sorry about the crummy iPhone photos.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks everyone. I ordered the Deluxe Create-a-Bed hardware kit.
    Cheers,
    Dave