Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is this resawing good enough?

Quote Originally Posted by James Conrad View Post
    You can get the Diemaster 2 from Spectrum in 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2", .025 and .035, 3 to 18 TPI, and in vari-tooth, standard and hook.

It use to be my go to blade for resaw, I like the Woodmaster CT better though if your saw can tension a larger blade.
    Thanks for the info on the DM2, James.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Beadle View Post
    For production resawing, what you are getting is ok, even good. It will definitely need further processing.

However, IMO you should use a Highland Hardware' wood slicer 1/2 inch 3 tpi. It will do the job and give a much smoother result. This would be for smaller work pieces and lumber that doesn't require serious HP to do the resawing.

I guess what I'm saying is that the wood slicer gets you closer to a use able finish. However, if you run the work piece through a sharp bladed thicknesser, you will get an almost glue ready surface. It will also be ready for a quick smoother plane session that's fairly short.
    Yes! That exact saw blade leaves the nicest finish of any resaw blade I have ever owned but it still saws pretty fast. I have just ordered a new Laguna 14/12 and I am contemplating buying a Laguna Resaw King carbide tip bladefor it.
    Last edited by Art Mann; 03-26-2015 at 3:58 PM.

I use Timberwolf blades exclusively. I also have a Grizzly Bandsaw. Mine is the G0555X Extreme Series 14" with the Riser Block.
    This is the blade I use for resawing:

http://timberwolfblades.com/proddetail.php?prod=3423VPC
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

I bought some 3/8" 3 tpi blades from the local saw shop. Tried resawing some drawer sides, and found the blade worked very well. Was going to put the old 1" wide carbide tipped blade on, but did not have to.

Subscribed, so I can learn something. I just got the same saw as the OP for resawing and like him, I'd never used one before.

The blade from Highland is definitely good.

Use it only for resawing.

I use the 1/2" on an 18" bandsaw. Run the tension up pretty high.

If I was doing a lot of resawing, I'd be looking at a carbide blade.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Aubuchon View Post
    With the same blade and setup, I made another cut with a much slower feed rate.
    Thanks for posting that Jay. I was feeling guilty; I had just resawn some cherry yesterday and finished milling it without taking pictures.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    A 3 TPI skip-tooth blade will give you a pretty gnarly surface finish. Is the piece dimensioned the way you want? If so, the machine is set up right and it's just a matter of getting a blade for the finish you're looking for.

Erik

I agree.

Jay
    The Lennox Tri-Master in 2/3 vari-pitch will yield a much nicer surface, still not finish quality, but nicer. However, you're looking at a $150.00 blade.
    Like Eric pointed out, if the board is uniform in thickness, and will be going through a sander next, save your $$$$, and keep going with what you're using.

Red Oak by nature is kind of a stringy wood and not really all that dense. So what you're getting there doesn't seem to me to be that bad given the material.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Additionally to a slower feed speed there are other factors that cause the rough surface.... the blade may have a tooth or three that is slightly offset more than the rest, you can jointer the blade, the band saw FPM is not optimized for the blade and you may not be able to do anything about it, the blade tension to too tight, try loosening the blade a bit... loose blades track better then over tight blades... you might want to try sharpening the blade, I have resharpened new blades to get a better cut... I do a lot of re-sawing and tweaking the blade and band saw doesn't take much time but the results are worth the effort.

Quote Originally Posted by David Masury View Post
    .... the blade may have a tooth or three that is slightly offset more than the rest ...
    I saw this exact problem on a brand new Timberwolf 3/4" resaw blade. A friend of mine was having a problem with a very pronounced repeating arc pattern with his brand new 3/4" Timberwolf resaw blade. It was only evident on one of the two cut surfaces. We used a dial indicator on a magnetic mount to measure the set on every tooth as the blade was manually moved. We found a couple of teeth that had a very wide set on one side of the blade.

By the way, he bought another identical resaw blade from Timberwolf and discovered cracks in the gullet of several teeth. This blade was replaced under warranty but it makes me question whether Timberwolf still deserves their sterling reputation. I had pretty good luck with my first Timberwolf resaw blade but I changed to a 1/2" 3tpi tooth "Woodslicer" resaw blade from Highland Hardware and it leaves a smoother finish than the Timberwolf did with very little difference in cut speed. I am currently resawing with a 1 hp motor and cutting speed is an issue.

Summary

Again, to be clear, I am not looking for a finished surface right off the bandsaw. I was trying to calibrate my expectations: how smooth a cut should I be able to get with this bandsaw? And if I should be able to get a better result, how can I get there? Your feedback and discussion have been quite instructive. Here's my summary.

a. Feed more slowly and smoothly.

Both of these adjustments noticeably improved my results. I got the best result using a finger board to hold the board firmly against the fence. That allowed me to better focus on feed rate and smoothness. My best cut is on the right.

SmootherStill.JPG

b. Try a better blade.

As I have seen in other threads, opinions vary. There are trade-offs among price, smoothness, and durability; different people have different needs. Some of the blades mentioned include the following.

Timber Wolf
    Wood Slicer 1/2"
    Lenox Diemaster II
    Lenox Woodmaster CT
    Lenox Tri-Master 2/3 vari-pitch

More than one person suggested trying various blades to find out what works best for me. I've ordered a Wood Slicer 1/2" to try. I'll probably also try the Lenox Diemaster II at some point. I don't believe my use justifies the cost of the carbide-toothed blades (but they do appear to produce beautiful results).

c. Tweak the blade and settings as needed.

Check whether a few teeth are set badly set. Consider sharpening the blade. Try increasing or decreasing the tension.

d. A band saw is like a stringed musical instrument.

I read this with some dismay. The only musical instrument I can play is a boom box.

Seriously, though, I think some of suggestions above are specific examples of this.