Thread: Moving heavy machinery...

Moving heavy machinery...

Which specific tools are needed for moving heavy machinery like a large cabinet saw <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>

up to 700 lbs to 900 lbs (or perhaps even heavier?)…it seems that I more frequently than I thought, move heavy tools for myself and/or for friends, and having the necessary equipment to do this makes good safe sense. To hire “riggers” costs about $600.00 per occurrence which gets expensive. <o></o>

1. Moving closed boxes (up to 400-600 lbs) over driveway, brick walkway, poured concrete floor;<o></o>

2. Moving palleted boxes (up to 400-600 lbs) over driveway, brick walkway, poured concrete floor;<o></o>

3. “Moving” boxes and/or palleted boxes (up to 400-600 lbs) down wooden stairs;

Which specific brand/make/model tools should I get? Where to purchase?

Thanks,

Phil

Phil,

Take a look at this SMC thread, it has some pics of me moving some large and heavy (~1500 pound) machines, and that includes around our house and down a normal hatchway into my basement.

The equipment I used was:
    • A pallet jack (which I use to move the machines around in my shop);
    • A normal automotive floor jack;
    • An inexpensive $100, 440/880 lb winch to control each machine's slide down the stairs;
    • A come-along to pull the machines off of the dollies and start them sliding down the stairs;
    • Truckers Tie down straps; and,
    • Heavy duty dollies.
    The one part I borrowed were the dollies. Those you could make for yourself by getting some solid wheel casters on ebay (probably the cheapest source for the big ones you need). You want solid wheel casters because pneumatic-tired castors ones will likely deform under heavy weight.

The first pic shows how I removed the jointer/planer from its shipping pallet. That's the backside of the j/p you see in the other thread. It's suspended in air on those 2 pieces of steel tube stock. I raised it up a bit at a time with the pallet jack on one end and the automotive jack on the other until I could block the one end up. The reason for the blocking is that the lift range of a pallet jack wasn't enough to just raise the machine off in one operation.
    The second pic shows the rails I installed over my hatchway stairs to get slide the machines into the basement. The wooden sleds I made the for machines had wood rails that matched up with the steel tubes you see in this second picture. In the thread I reference above, you can see a good picture of the sled I made under the jointer/planer.
    The third pic shows how the bottom of the rails are mounted. I simply took an L-shaped piece of the tube stock that fit inside the rails and lag-bolted them to the floor. The rails basically just flip over and sit on those brackets.

The key to moving heavy machinery is NOT to lift anything yourself. Use machinery to do it. Some folks have posted about using engine lifts to lift machines off of pallets.

I hope this helps.

Rob
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Rob Russell; 08-03-2005 at 7:25 PM. Reason: Add pic, text

Phil. A 1 ton rolling transom would solve the first three of four problems. It might cost you a fair amount, unless you have some welder friends, but it would have to be made. It is essentially an 8"-12" aluminum I beam, 6'-8' long, with a chainfall on a traveler. The I beam is supported on each end by a rolling "A" Frame, on pneumatic wheels. We use one at work quite a bit.
    Going up and down stairs is best done with a Stair dolly, and it's still alot of work, or alot of pizza and beer, and a few "friends".

I know you will get lots of serious answers to your questions...but I gotta say this.

Learn to buy lighter equipment and to say no to friends wanting to move heavy stuff! :-)

I worry about most solutions when you hit that brick walkway with all of the cracks/morter.... and stairs...I can't even imagine!

I'm so thankful for my drive in doors of the shop and the forklift when I see questions like this.

Doug

We had to take the machinery down a paver walkway and across part of the lawn onto a paver patio. The simple answer is to put down plywood to spread the weight.

I gotta admit, my next (retirement, whenever that is) shop will be designed with the thought of getting this big stuff in and out.

Question

I used an engine lift/hoist to unload and move my Laguna 18" bandsaw and Delta DJ 20. You can buy one surprisingly cheap, >$250, that has a 4000# capacity and fold up for storage. Not sure if it would work in your situation or not.
    Les