Thread: Table saw advise

Table saw advise

I have a small Dremel 4 inch Table saw that I use a lot when building model airplanes and small hobby stuff. Actually I am surprised that it can cut 1/2 inch maple or oak with a good Tenryu carbide blade (of course slowly) . However occasionally when I want to cut something thicker and larger it is very limited. I then use my Rockwell 4 1/2 inch circular saw .( I prefer this to a 7 1/2 inch circular saw that I have because it much lighter and easier to handle for me ) I thought that perhaps I should invest in a table saw but which ? I dont have a lot of space so it has to be a portable one that can be stored easily . Should I purchase something like a refurb Dewalt 7480 ? Of course cheaper is better since I dont use it that often however the sub $200 ones dont seem to be very sturdily built . I saw on craigslist a a Dewalt 745 for a good price but how is this different from the newer 7480 ?

Any suggestions?

If I was serious about building models,would probably have a Hammond glider/slider......would pay whatever to get a really nice one.Other than that,we would build one from scratch,which would also be a slider......albeit,based on advancing what Hammond "started",if that makes sense.Good luck,we love pics BTW.

My initial thought was same as Brian's - the Hammond Glider - but only because I knew of a model-maker that used it for that purpose. The Swiss-built Inca's were also respected for their precision - and in fact I'd probably be drawn towards one of their smaller "table top" units if I was doing model making and space was a consideration. Both companies are to my knowledge, long out of business - so parts would be problematic. I also suspect dust control would be non-existent.

There has been a Hammond Glider on the Long Island craigslist for months and months. I'm sure they'd be delighted to get rid of it. I have no knowledge of whether it is complete or working. One sees listings for Inca's all the time, but they tend to sell pretty quickly both because of the reputation and the configuration which lends itself to limited space. Bill Pentz has an Inca and speaks highly of it.

I have a late-model Ryobi contractor saw which does a remarkably good job on a wide range of materials, folds into a nice small footprint, cost very little, and is very portable. I think today's tools are in general better engineered than those of one or more decades ago (I'm going to create a firestorm with that statement).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bill Adamsen; 03-26-2015 at 2:19 PM.

The Inca table top model would indeed be a good choice. There has been one for sale over at WoodNet for several weeks, along with a companion bandsaw. Since it has not sold in several weeks (maybe months) you might convince the poster to take a lot less money than he has it posted for.

John

Tangent alert............we have a "sensitive" DP,made by Pratt Whitney that lives up to it's nomenclature.No,this is,NOT a for sale item(moderators)......just sayin.If the "job" calls for specific tooling,and/or equipment......most folks do NOT,have the resources to do other than,buying what's been developed,and is available on the used mrkt.Whether or not,an entity decides to pursue directions that puts them in,"the drivers seat",WRT.....tooling,is a whole 'nuther discussion.

All the above is a fancy way of saying,you may have to develop your own "path" WRT,tooling.

This is the Dremel Table Saw I am using. It has been out of production for quite a while . The saw has become a sought after item for hobbyist with several after market accessories made by various people. I made a small sled for it . The back of the saw is open , so I added a cover and a dust port .

D1.JPGD5.JPG

Jeff: Another poster commented on the Proxxon which might be an alternative to consider. There is apparently a whole world of model dedicated saws out there I'm not familiar with. I saw a posting recently for a Byrnes custom tablesaw and a custom built Byrnes model... the former of which at least ... is priced reasonably. The mfg says it can cut up to 15/16ths hardwood ... more than you are doing currently with your Dremel.

Out of the box thought:

Since your space is limited, have you considered a Track Saw? Grizzly has a Mini Track Saw (4 1/2" blade) It has a 1 1/16" cross cut capacity with a 1 1/2 HP motor and comes with a 24" track and four blades for about $130.

Just out of curiosity what Kind of RC planes we building? I was into 1/4 and 1/3 scale aerobatic stuff myself 20 years ago..

Quote Originally Posted by Robert LaPlaca View Post
    Just out of curiosity what Kind of RC planes we building? I was into 1/4 and 1/3 scale aerobatic stuff myself 20 years ago..
    I started in this R/C airplane hobby in the late 60's. In the 90's I was into giant scale then 50cc class aerobats and also turbine powered planes much later . Full blown Turbines are now too fast for me plus I have to travel 2 hrs for a suitable flying site. My local club's "runway" is just too short.

Now I concentrate on smaller and slower planes , 95% electric. Easier for transport and $$ . I completed a 60 inch OV-10 over the winter . Waiting for the weather to be better for maiden flight . I am getting the bug for an EDF so in process gathering the wood for Rich Uravitch's Tsunam-E which is a slightly modified Miniwave with a 90mm fan.

You have a nice table top saw which looks good for smaller stuff. I have read many great reviews of the Dremmel saws for small hobby work. I am guessing you are looking for a large saw for larger work? The problem with compact table top saws for larger work is that they aren't stable enough to cut a piece of stock of decent size without tipping over which is very dangerous! I would recommend looking for a good contractors saw. Something like a vintage Rockwell, Delta or Craftsman. A good fence makes a huge difference. It might be worth it to buy a solid contractors saw and put and good after market fence on it. Like a Vega fence.

If you get a job site saw like the mentioned Dewalt 745 or 7480 you will need a very stable mount for it if you want to use it for larger work. Once you put a compact table saw on a good mount and add an out feed table and a couple of side tables so you can safely cut some larger boards you are going to have a saw about the size of a contractors saw with a very inadequate fence.
    Last edited by Mike Schuch; 03-29-2015 at 2:53 AM.

If budget and portability prove paramount to you, I would look at the Bosch compact worksite table saw as a used tool. Had the Inca twice and found the tiliting top and fence system to be a pain. The Hammond gliders seem like a good printer's saw that would work for you but is hardly portable.

I dont need the table saw to be super stable as I do not intend to build furniture. Just need a bit more capacity and a larger table so that's why I thought of something like a Refurb or used Dewalt or Bosch so I can set aside when not in use. My workshop is small ...just one car space and that has to share space with work table ( Solid wood door) , other power tools and storage space for airplanes, electric charger stations , lots of hand tools and jigs for airplane building. etc. Right now I don't even own a compressor which is a like to have item since I don't use nails or staples for the airplane building . So in summary a portable table saw is all I need. I had a Delta Contractor saw but sold it because it was too large and heavy for my needs. Currently for larger cuts I use a Rockwell compact circular saw along with my home made straight line track. I dont use my regular circular saw any more because its too heavy for me.

I have used the Byrnes for yrs..accurate and powerful enough for 3/4 inch material..no contractor saw, but built to last.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe