Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Odd problem ripping ply with a circular saw

Odd problem ripping ply with a circular saw

I was attempting to cut a 4'x8' sheet of 3/4" plywood in half using my Ryobi ZRCSB133L circular saw along a clamped straight edge and when I would get about 1/3-1/2 way through the cut the saw would start bogging down and would appear the cut starts turning into the straight edge. My initial thought was a blade issue but a new blade did not resolve the issue. I can make smaller cuts off the edge of the board just fine but when cutting anything towards the middle (same issue with a 30" cut) I run into this.

Now the work tables i had the full sheet resting on had about 1/2-3/4" height difference so maybe that caused the blade to bind up? My other thought was to adjust the cut depth on the saw to the proper cut depth as opposed to me running it as far down as it goes (nasty habit of not adjusting that). I could see that helping but before I ruin another sheet I figured I'd see if anyone knows why it could be doing this.

Thanks in advance!

First, yes, adjust the blade so the bottom is cutting into free air - not the substrate. This could be making the saw work too hard, causing it to bind.

Next, is your plywood properly supported throughout? After getting into the cut, the weight of the cut side could be causing the wood to sag, which can also cause the blade to bind.

Is your straight edge defect free?

Last, are you pushing straight ahead or pulling the saw across your body? A bind free cut is easier straight on.

I'm grasping here; 3/4" plywood should be a cinch to cut. normally.

I would say the wood is not properly supported more adequately supported. I use two 2'x3' tables spaced to support both sides. The wood may sag a bit in the middle which could be the issue. My thought process was if it sags it will just be separating a bit on the bottom causing the cut to slightly separate and not cause the blade to bind up, but maybe I'm wrong on that. Most of the cut is done with me pushing the saw in front of me and the straight edge is fine.

It does not have to separate a bit on the bottom as you posted, it can also squeeze in a bit at the top.

When ripping plywood I toss some junk 2 X 4's on the bench so the piece is supported PERPENDICULAR to the direction I am cutting. The blade is set so that about a tooth protrudes. Doing it this way gaurantees no sagging, pinching, etc.

In other words if I am ripping along the 8 foot length, I have the scrap pieces running in the 4 foot direction.

Are you sure the guided edge of the saw base is perfectly parallel to the blade? If not, that could be the problem. When you cut only a little from the plywood edge the waste can deflect away from the blade, allowing a straight cut that is not perfectly aligned with the blade direction. But when you cut toward the middle of the sheet, the waste can not deflect, and forces the saw toward the straightedge. If this is correct, cutting with the straightedge on the other side of the saw would cause deflection away from the straightedge.

I will see if I have any means to try to support the ply across the cut, that seems like a good start. And as best I could verify the blade is parallel with the guide edge. I would think if it wasn't it would be really poor design. The turning in only seems to happen when the blade starts to bind up.

You're thinking like a chainsawyer; in that case, the sag sometimes works to your advantage. But with a circular saw, you're cutting the full thickness at once. So sagging and opening on the bottom means pinching at the top of the cut.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Schwabacher View Post
    Are you sure the guided edge of the saw base is perfectly parallel to the blade? If not, that could be the problem. When you cut only a little from the plywood edge the waste can deflect away from the blade, allowing a straight cut that is not perfectly aligned with the blade direction. But when you cut toward the middle of the sheet, the waste can not deflect, and forces the saw toward the straightedge. If this is correct, cutting with the straightedge on the other side of the saw would cause deflection away from the straightedge.
    That is exactly what I thought. If the soul plate of the circular saw is being used with a straight edge as a guide, then the saw blade and the reference edge on the saw must be parallel. If that isn't true then the angled saw kerf will bind more and more as the saw moves across the wood until it may actually stall the motor. I found this out the hard way.
    Last edited by Art Mann; 03-26-2015 at 3:08 PM.

Blog Entries
    This might be a dumb question, but is your straight edge really straight. If you are using a bowed board as a straight edge it would gradually make the blade start to bind.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

When I used a circular saw to break down plywood, I used a saw board. A piece of 1/4 luan with a separate piece of luan glued to it to guide the saw. The single thickness part was a little wider than the distance from the edge of the saw to the blade. Then when you use the added piece to guide the cut the first time it shows you where the saw will cut on future uses. An advantage of this kind of guide is there is no way for the saw to go under the guide. I wonder if you saw might be going under your guide due to sag in the sheet goods.

I use a 1x4 lattice work support for sheet goods placed on saw horses. It makes the plywood flat.

I have the same saw, I had the same problem.

Hey, it's about a $40.00 saw you can't expect precision at that price point - - there's like two chances the blade and the base are in any type of alignment - Slim and None & Slim just left town.

It all came to a head one hot August day.

It was above 90 degrees and the humidity was close to being a liquid atmosphere.
    The saw binding in the plywood was the final straw. I told my wife I'd had it with the frustration of trying to do such a simple task & was going to go spend $1000.00.
    I promptly drove to Hartville Hardware and bought a Festool TS55EQ.
    Expensive - but - worth every penny since it eliminated so many odd ball problems.

Cutting sheet goods is still an unglamorous thing to do, but, it's no longer a dreaded ordeal.

In all honesty too, the price isn't al that bad - - all things considered.
    A good new circular saw (the Ryobi is a good "rough in" type saw, but it's not even close to being a decent "finish" saw) runs between $150 and $200.
    Hardwood plywood runs between $50 and $150 a sheet - so - you only have to risk screwing up a couple sheets to be at the point of putting a real dent in the price of a track saw (along with an upgraded circular saw).
    Last edited by Rich Engelhardt; 03-27-2015 at 7:57 AM.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

No support under the cut causes the plywood to pinch the blade. 2X4's under neath provide adequate support preventing binding, kickback and injury.

I have had on occasion something similar.
    In my case, the ply was sagging as I pushed the saw along, and the saws base plate would begin to slide under the straightedge.
    And since my arm was trying to push the saw against the straightedge, it just continued getting worse as the cut progressed.

+6 or 7 on saw base and blade misalignment. I had a circular saw like that and, there was no possible adjustment - it was riveted in place. Fortunately, I got it free. Unfortunately, I discovered this problem in mid cut... Now I know why it was free.

Life is too short for bad tools.

I'm pondering whether the saw cord is catching on something. Just a thought.