Thread: Delta 36-L352 3HP 1Phase Table Saw

Delta 36-L352 3HP 1Phase Table Saw

Have an opportunity to get this saw, never been used, for $2100. I have read a lot, it seems, that suggests we wood workers stay away from Delta because of replacement parts not being available. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2015-03-26_14-17-36.jpg
    Last edited by Scott Brandstetter; 03-26-2015 at 2:18 PM.

I have a Left tilt Delta bought in 2004 and an pleased, but this looks pricey.

Tough call, but personally if I was going to drop anywhere close to that kind of money I'd consider Sawstop, Euro sliders, etc. Or, I'd look for an old used Unisaw for <$500.

I've heard about zero talk on here about that saw if that means anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Tough call, but personally if I was going to drop anywhere close to that kind of money I'd consider Sawstop, Euro sliders, etc. Or, I'd look for an old used Unisaw for <$500.

I've heard about zero talk on here about that saw if that means anything.
    Agreed. It used to be that paying a premium for Delta machines was worth it because you were getting a solid machine with parts support for decades. Today parts can be hard to come by even for a new machine so what make it worth the premium over Grizzly, Steel City, General International etc.?

You'd be saving $700 bucks or more at that price.

A table saw is not a complicated machine. Most of that type are very similar in construction. They can be repaired by buying used parts, finding parts from other used machines, not necessarily Delta, that are compatible and by making the part. People buy wood working machinery all the time made by manufacturers that haven't been in business for decades and can get it up and running. They're just not complicated machines, by and large. (Except for the ones Jack Forsberg rebuilds. )
    The trunnions and the arbor support mechanism are the critical components that are the most difficult to overcome if they need replacement. The rest of it is just sheet metal, rods, linkages, jesus clips, bolts, nuts, bearings,bevel gears, worm gears, and hand wheels. Nothing exotic.

If you can save yourself a grand on that saw, and you like it, I say go for it.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 03-28-2015 at 10:11 AM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

That's the "new Unisaw". Delta built the original Unisaw for sixty years or more, but the saw finally fell afoul of the federal mandate that all tablesaws must have a riving knife. Delta designed this saw from the ground up (including the riving knife), and trumpeted that it was built in the USA too. It was released perhaps four years ago. The initial reviews were quite positive. I looked at one at a show, and it seemed like a solid machine. But I haven't heard much about it lately. So you might be buying a bit of an orphan. But like Mike says, tablesaws aren't complicated devices. My own Unisaw is now forty years old, and I've never even talked to Delta about it.

I bought one like that pictured brand new 2 1/2 years ago and love it. No regrets and if I have to buy again I'd make the same choice. It solid and well designed. As others posters have noted, table saws are generally uncomplicated (there are notable exceptions...).