Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fumbling noob French cleat shelving

Update: Here is how the shelves are looking after finishing with natural finish danish oil and hung up together.

I have about 7 done so far. and the assembly line of the next 12 in process.

The gap is much better after using some better clamping procedures ( thanks guys ). It's not perfect yet... but I attribute some of the gap from the plywood warp. and I am ok with that.

once done, I should have a lot of versatile storage above the work area. some of it is pretty high, I need to stand on the workbench to get to it... but that is for the less used items.

2015-04-05 10.16.22.jpg2015-04-05 10.16.34.jpg2015-04-05 13.39.05.jpg

You are getting better each time. We all had to start somewhere. As I remember, my first book case was boards laid across cement blocks. Used it for years.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Thought I would add one more picture of all the cabinet/shelves completed and finished. Each box can be re-arranged as needed and I can use up all the wall space in and around the gas line and other shelving.

Yes, there is a mix of plywood here, mostly because I wanted to try different types and see how they work. The darker, finer grain is an oak veneer plywood. the core is 11 ply , 3/4 inch and was a lot more consistent. However, the finish was so thin, if I looked at it wrong it disappeared. it chipped and tore out all over the place. Even with a cross cut finishing blade on my mitre saw. it is a dewalt contractor finishing blade and cuts everything else nicely.

The other board is a sanded and finished on both sides pine plywood from the borg. only 7 ply, but the outer layer was much , much thicker and had no tare-out or thinning from sanding and finishing. I even like the look of the grain better. This plywood is not as stable and warped a little more, but good enough for garage shelving to me.

I will still build a few more custom attachments to go on the cleats, for things such as a light and maybe a custom plane holder.

now, I can do the next project on the list.

2015-04-20 22.04.30.jpg