Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Table saw: Rip & Rabbet in one pass?

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    Nope. Consider 3/4" thick material; 3/8" deep dado; 10" blade cutting height at 1-3/8" - more than enough to rip the 3/4 stock.
    Guess I wasn't awake enough when I posted that. I must have been thinking about thicker stock. Doh!

I don't have a riving knife on my saw and I don't usually use the splitter safety guard either so, for me, I would do this only as a trimming operation. I mean I wouldn't try to make the rip cut through the middle of a piece of BORG pine for example because that wood moves like crazy and would guarantee kickback. I think its a great idea otherwise though. Processing like this should reduce variation in board to board results thus helping to reduce assembly issues.

Quote Originally Posted by James Phillips View Post
    Kent,
    The cuts will be simultaneous, just maybe not in the same point on the board. For the majority of the cut both the 10 in blade and the dado stack will be engaged.

The 10in blade will put a different force on the board than the 8 in chippers and blade. It may not matter, but it does not take much to cause a kick back
    dont see that, as 10" will be out in front of the 8" and the dado cut would be on the part of the cut already made, and would clear the end of the cut and while the 8" stack finishes it's cut.

Extremely dangerous! would not advise, but then a lot of interesting youtube videos start with "watch this"

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Hankins View Post
    dont see that, as 10" will be out in front of the 8" and the dado cut would be on the part of the cut already made, and would clear the end of the cut and while the 8" stack finishes it's cut.

Extremely dangerous! would not advise, but then a lot of interesting youtube videos start with "watch this"
    I'll agree that the 10" blade will cut first, but only a millisecond before the 8" cutters, same on the outfeed but opposite, but I would not characterize the operation as extremely dangerous! As someone else posted, it's done all the time with shapers. I think the safety considerations are valid, e.g., using a power feeder.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Moyer View Post
    I'll agree that the 10" blade will cut first, but only a millisecond before the 8" cutters, same on the outfeed but opposite, but I would not characterize the operation as extremely dangerous! As someone else posted, it's done all the time with shapers. I think the safety considerations are valid, e.g., using a power feeder.
    i make much bigger cuts all the time with a shaper, always with a feeder, often using a back fence so the accuracy of the fixed distance between cutter and fence is similar to a table saw. But one very big difference is the spindle/quill/bearings are quite a bit more stout on even a small shaper than even a decent cabinet saw. A I'm usually doing this on a big shaper with 1 1/4" bore and a quill assembly approaching more than 2' in height. My primary concern with dados on a TS is managing the speed carefully so the rest of the mechanism doesn't get over capacitated. If you compare the shaft on a tS to a shaper spindle it almost seems scrawny in comparison. All this plays back into surface quality, push a TS too hard and IME surface quality drops off fast due to deflection. Guess it depends on what the product is and what is required. If it's ship lap where both edges get milled it may be easier to split the rip and dado into two operations.
    "A good miter set up is like yoga pants: it makes everyone's butts look good." Prashun Patel