Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Proxxon table saw

Proxxon table saw

I enjoy making small projects like jewelry boxes, very small display cases and similar projects. My Jet 14" band saw, Grizzly 10" drum sander, and hawk scroll saw are invaluable tools for these projects. However I don't have a table saw to rip and crosscut the small and thin materials for these projects. I have very limited shop space, and most table saws are way overkill.
    Has any one had any experience using the model maker's Proxxon table saw?

2. doug -- I have never used the Proxxon saw , but have looked at one. .I thought is was underpowered.

Have you ever considered Skil 3601-02 flooring saw . It has a 4 3/8 inch blade and enough power to handle hardwoods .

Flooring installers rate this saw highly.

I have one - a great saw . I make bird houses with mine . Good dust collection also.

CPO tools - sells new for $179 or reconditioned for $135.

If you go to CPO tools website and search Skil 3601 - 02 shows photo and description. IMHO much better saw than the Proxxon

I looked at the Proxxon saw and ended up with a Hegner MK4 years ago for my apartment "shop". Expensive but absolutely worth it if you're pressed for space: http://www.advmachinery.com/p-30-acc...rk-center.aspx

Really great little machine for small stuff. The Proxxon seemed pretty crude and underpowered by comparison.

I have the Proxxon saw. I use it for cutting harpsichord jacks out of 1/8" thick beech. It works just fine and is quite accurate. The only complaint I have is the width (depth) of the table. When using the miter gage, it often falls off the back (user side) of the table thereby limiting the width of the wood you can cross cut. If the table were a couple of inches deeper at the user end, it would be much more useful. That said, the saw does all that I need it to do. I've cut 3/4" stock with it, but it does have its limitations. If you use it for its intended purpose, it's a nice little machine.
    "A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths."
    -Steven Wright.

Pete, that Hegner MK4 saw was discontinued, so parts would be an issue. I saw the MK4 on Craigslist for $299 recently, so I looked up some reviews. The one in FWW really panned it as bad. I probably would take a chance on it anyway, but since it's discontinued, no.
    Ernie, yeah I need an accurate but Small table saw. The saw from Micro-mark looks good, but they are on back order. There is another brand. can't recall the name, fairly expensive, and doesn't tilt, but is highly regarded by model makers. Unfortunately, the want like six weeks to deliver and quite a lot of money!

I looked at proxxon in person but just didn't care for it about 5 years ago. I ordered a 4" table saw from Byrnes Model Machines and am extremely pleased. Hand crafted, very precision, well made and engineered. About $500, if I recall. At the time he made them one by one as ordered. Don't need that often but when I do I'm glad I bought this one.

Quote Originally Posted by DOUG ANGEL View Post
    Pete, that Hegner MK4 saw was discontinued, so parts would be an issue. I saw the MK4 on Craigslist for $299 recently, so I looked up some reviews. The one in FWW really panned it as bad. I probably would take a chance on it anyway, but since it's discontinued, no.
    Ernie, yeah I need an accurate but Small table saw. The saw from Micro-mark looks good, but they are on back order. There is another brand. can't recall the name, fairly expensive, and doesn't tilt, but is highly regarded by model makers. Unfortunately, the want like six weeks to deliver and quite a lot of money!
    The Proxxon model that I have doesn't tilt either. They make a higher end model (#337070) that does tilt, and the table is larger. However, it costs, as of today, $383.00 as opposed to the $129.00 that I paid for mine. As far as I know, the Micro-Mark saw is similar, if not identical, to the Proxxon.
    -Steven Wright.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Michaels View Post
    I looked at proxxon in person but just didn't care for it about 5 years ago. I ordered a 4" table saw from Byrnes Model Machines and am extremely pleased. Hand crafted, very precision, well made and engineered. About $500, if I recall. At the time he made them one by one as ordered. Don't need that often but when I do I'm glad I bought this one.
    I considered the Brynes saw as well. It's probably the best saw of its type on the market. I just couldn't justify the cost as I only need this saw a couple of times a year, and for me, the little Proxxon does what I need. If i had a need to use this saw on a daily basis, I probably would have gone with the Brynes.
    -Steven Wright.

Lots of cute little tools here Not planning on getting any but fun to look at.

I wonder if the BridgeCity Jointmaker would fit the bill htto://bridgecitytools.com/default/tools/jointmaker/jointmakers.html - I've never used one but would be curious to hear from anyone who has.

Ryan, the Bridge CityJointmaker would be a good choice after I win the Lottery!

Ryan, the Bridge CityJointmaker would be a good choice after I win the Lottery!
    Well its not a WHOLE lot more than some of the other options bandied here

There's a good reason, that's closely related to yours, that I've never tried one either. I do like to go look at the pretty pictures on Economaki's blog occasionally though.. sooo shiny...

I use a discontinued Dremel 580 4 inch table saw for my r/c model airplane hobby. It's versatile and have quite a lot of following with quite a few 3rd party accessories. Purchased mine from local craigslist and quite a few are for sale on Ebay. See here : http://www.theaerosmith.com/custom3.html . Yeah Byrnes is top of the line but too costly for me .

Jeff, I had a Dremel table saw in the 80's, did a lot of work with it. Somehow it disappeared during one of my numerous moves for the Air Force, and I never replaced it. Good thing we have the internet, so we can discuss the pros and cons of different tools. Can't even begin to list all the bright shiny USELESS tools I've bought thinking that they would be perfect for the project at hand. Gotta admit though, my hand tool skills need a lot of practice.

Jeff, I used a Dremel saw in the early 80s, but it disappeared during one of my numerous moves for the Air Force, and I never replaced it. I don't have enough space in my little garage shop, so any further additions have to be absolutely necessary, and compact. My previous experience with the little Dremel saw led me to not consider another. I appreciate the input from everyone.

Pete, that Hegner MK4 saw was discontinued, so parts would be an issue. I saw the MK4 on Craigslist for $299 recently, so I looked up some reviews. The one in FWW really panned it as bad.
    $299? Where is it? I regret selling my one!