Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wrong power supply?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sheldrake View Post
    nop...it's an 80 watt Dan, the operating current for your tube is 28mA (30mA max) that PSU only pumps a max of 26mA when run at 100% so you will never achieve full power in the tube you have paid for.
    so I found a flaw with the power wire and the arcing issue is no longer apparent. I will attempt to align and test tomorrow. the power supply said it was 80-100w so im hoping it does indeed work well if not I guess I will exchange it if they will take it back.

when on the phone with laser depot usa they stated the bought hurricane laser out and it is indeed the same billing address as the previous company so..... its food for thought

thank you guys for the prompt and helpful advice.... wish me luck

the power supply said it was 80-100w so im hoping it does indeed work well
    It won't, at the power required to run a 100 watt tube that PSU is at the top limit + of what current it can provide.

Supplies tend to run

35 watt - 40 watt
    40 watt - 60 watt
    80 watt
    100 watt - 130 watt
    150 watt - 180 watt
    180 watt - 220 watt

80's are quite unique as they require better stabilisation than a 60 and a higher current but nowhere near as much as a 100 or a 130. If you look inside an 80 you will usually find two capacitors compared to the 100+ supplies that have 3 to keep the current stable. The problem with overloading the 80's is they get HOT....VERY hot leading to early failure if they are drained too hard. It's one of the reasons 100 watt DC tubes aren't very popular as the supplies are more expensive and the benefits are tiny compared to a well stabilised 80 watt running at full tilt.(100 are also close to useless for fine engraving work where as a good 80 will still strike at quite low power levels)

The better DY and P series supplies from RECI are good (the P series are great) and the ZX series from EFR can run from 150 to 220 without problems but the price goes to $700+ for a decent PSU

Just be careful with that box, funky stuff happens when supplies get hot and the insulation starts to break down

cheers

Dave
    You did what !

So I shoulda got the bigger power supply to ensure it runs better... Is the one on light objects any good?

I am so lost and confused ....

Quote Originally Posted by daniel delgado View Post
    So I shoulda got the bigger power supply to ensure it runs better... Is the one on light objects any good?
    I have dealt with LightObject for a long time and I have found them to be honest and fair. But you need to tell him (Marco) what tube you are using so you get the right PS to match. Like Dave said, you pay more for quality.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

RECI Laser DY13
    RECI Laser P14

Beijing EFR PS-N100

I use EFR PS supplies on all my DC tubes.

cheers

Dave
    You did what !

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    I have dealt with LightObject for a long time and I have found them to be honest and fair. But you need to tell him (Marco) what tube you are using so you get the right PS to match. Like Dave said, you pay more for quality.
    you pay more for poor quality. Look at your down time, frustration trying to figure out what is wrong and what you need to fix it combined with substandard parts the manufacturer installed. IMO selling something that is stated to be x watts of power and building it with conponents that are actually below that is deception. I initially bought 60 watts and the cartridge exceeded that in output. Great for me, but if you bought a 100 watt laser built with 60-80 watt rated parts you didn't get what you purchased.
    It seems that you will have to bear the cost to correct this yourself. If you need (or think you might later) the full wattage you thought you bought, you need to install the right parts now to avoid this happening again later.
    I do agree with Bill that quality is more expensive INITIALLY - but long term it is the greatest value.
    Universal Laser ILS 12.150D (48"x24") 135 watts total, with 60 watt and 75 watt laser cartridges. Class 4 Module (pass thru ability). Photograv 3.0, Corel X6, Adobe Design Standard CS4 Suite, Engrave Lab laser Version 8, Melco Single Head Comercial Embroidery Machine, The Magic Touch System with Oki C711WT printer, and Graphtec CE6000-60 plotter.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lassiter View Post
    you pay more for poor quality. Look at your down time, frustration trying to figure out what is wrong and what you need to fix it combined with substandard parts the manufacturer installed. IMO selling something that is stated to be x watts of power and building it with conponents that are actually below that is deception. I initially bought 60 watts and the cartridge exceeded that in output. Great for me, but if you bought a 100 watt laser built with 60-80 watt rated parts you didn't get what you purchased.
    It seems that you will have to bear the cost to correct this yourself. If you need (or think you might later) the full wattage you thought you bought, you need to install the right parts now to avoid this happening again later.
    I do agree with Bill that quality is more expensive INITIALLY - but long term it is the greatest value.
    that all makes perfect sense. right now though I have had another serious problem pop up . the laser is staying on sometimes when I give it momentary test power and also if I never hit the power button then plug it in then unplug it fires.... im fighting through all these complicated issues and cant seem to "win" on top of that im not thrilled with burning the hell outta my hand so any help you can give is awesome

that all makes perfect sense. right now though I have had another serious problem pop up . the laser is staying on sometimes when I give it momentary test power and also if I never hit the power button then plug it in then unplug it fires.... im fighting through all these complicated issues and cant seem to "win" on top of that im not thrilled with burning the hell outta my hand so any help you can give is awesome
    found ground on tube not so great but it still does it powering on and off. it should be noted my stop button switch is not operating properly (meaning you push down on it and it doesn't retain the cut off power function) but the magnetic switch operates and does indeed cut tube power if the lid is open
    Last edited by daniel delgado; 03-31-2015 at 12:47 PM. Reason: added info

found ground on tube not so great but it still does it powering on and off. it should be noted my stop button switch is not operating properly (meaning you push down on it and it doesn't retain the cut off power function) but the magnetic switch operates and does indeed cut tube power if the lid is open
    Sounds like you have power and safety issues, neither one are safe to have when operating a high power laser machine. You need to find someone locally to help with the wiring and controls. You can't repair a HV lead once it has started to arc, it creates a carbon trail and it will arc again. The only repair is replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    Sounds like you have power and safety issues, neither one are safe to have when operating a high power laser machine. You need to find someone locally to help with the wiring and controls. You can't repair a HV lead once it has started to arc, it creates a carbon trail and it will arc again. The only repair is replacement.
    no one locally will work on it I live on an island. HV lead was replaced and is no longer an issue.

Any warranty still in effect Daniel?
    You did what !

no one locally will work on it I live on an island. HV lead was replaced and is no longer an issue.
    Dan, I guess we can help whenever we can. Glad you got the HV lead replaced. BTW those Emergency switches can be replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sheldrake View Post
    Any warranty still in effect Daniel?
    no warranty in effect Dave. the guy at lightobjects thinks it might be a wiring issue from his power supply to my card causing it to get a false start signal
    ... anyone experienced this?

no warranty in effect Dave. the guy at lightobjects thinks it might be a wiring issue from his power supply to my card causing it to get a false start signal
    ... anyone experienced this?
    im going from a 60w JNMYDY model MYJG-60W to a Jupiter BH-80W. old wiring is 4 outta 6 wires on the plug if that helps