Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wrong power supply?

Unhappy Wrong power supply?

So this is my first post so hoping I do it right. Basically I have a 100w hurricane laser that blew a laser tube and power supply. since they are out of business I had to find parts myself so I ordered a 100w power supply off of lightobject. after finding that it arcs I have gone thru as much as I can do without help. it appears to me to power supply might be wrong. no stickers on the old one but was able to (once opened up) find a manufactures website and ascertain by dimension size that it appears to be a 60w power supply in a 100w laser that I have now replaced with a 100w power supply. it should be noted that the 110v wall power splits into what appears to be 2 separate power supplys . is It possible that a 100w laser could only need a 60w power supply if it does have a power supply elsewhere? I ran the machine for years without issue (other than the normal alignment type issues). someone please help I am booked for conventions (aka work) in 2 weeks and have been running outta product.... thank you in advance. (ps attached pics to see if it helps)image7.jpgimage6.jpg

Oldest trick in the book Dan when it comes to PSU's. Sell a 100 watt machine and simply force the supply to run higher than it should, a 100 supply costs considerably more trade price than a 60 so some companies have been known to shoehorn 60's in and turn the current right up to max on the pot. Sometimes it works, sometimes they just go bang. The Jupiter in the picture is an 80 watt supply and is 4 mA under the requirement for a 100 watt tube...in effect both supplies are wrong

Running a 100 from an 80 watt supply means running the supply over the top end of what it will stand (leading to reduced life) on a standard diameter tube and at the limit for a fatbody tube.

You need a supply that runs at 35KV trigger and 30mA run current for a standard diameter tube and at 24KV trigger and 28mA for a fatbody tube like a RECI or EFR.

cheers

Dave
    You did what !

yeah but a 60w worked great but the Jupiter is causing arcing issues the potentiometer is the other power supply... im wondering if my machine was built for it better (the 60w)

Wheres it arcing from?
    You did what !

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by daniel delgado View Post
    yeah but a 60w worked great but...
    You see the irony in that statement, right?
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I do see the irony Dan its not lost. its just puzzling. as for where is it arcing its hard to tell I think from the power wire on the tube but its sealed with the appropriate tape.... I know I touched the end cap and got a residual charge from it

The HT wire will hold a residual current for some time after the machine is switched off, arcing usually means the full lightning strike type stuff
    You did what !

I hear popping don't see but hear crackling or popping

That's not good could be internal in the supply but more likely from a damaged HT lead (they tend to harden with age and crack)

Check the full length of the HT and see if you can find any blackening?
    You did what !

Sounds like your arcing might have been the cause of the old PS and tube failing. Did you order both the new tube and PS from LightObject? Is the tube correct and PS wrong or are they both 80 watt, which might have been the "real" rating of the old tube and PS. You need to replace that HV lead, once its starts arcing there is no fixing... usually.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    Sounds like your arcing might have been the cause of the old PS and tube failing. Did you order both the new tube and PS from LightObject? Is the tube correct and PS wrong or are they both 80 watt, which might have been the "real" rating of the old tube and PS. You need to replace that HV lead, once its starts arcing there is no fixing... usually.
    So the power supply is from light objects and is a 100w supply and the tube was from laser-depot-usa.com which apparently I found out is hurricane lasers but it is a 100w RECI s4 tube (checking on authenticity currently to establish is it is the real deal the old power supply rating for the tube was indeed 60w and the new power supply is 80-100w light object power supply

which apparently I found out is hurricane lasers but
    Here we go again!! good luck Dan
    You did what !

Did Marco at LightObject know the PSU was going on a 100 Watt RECI s4 tube? It might require a different PSU than what you ordered.

Price for your tube was $1250 plus shipping!!!! Wow.

Found this > https://www.sinjoe.com/index.php?rou...&product_id=89

and of course this > http://www.lightobject.com/High-Qual...0hrs-P119.aspx

ERF tubes are cheaper.
    Last edited by Bill George; 03-30-2015 at 3:52 PM.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by daniel delgado View Post
    the tube was from laser-depot-usa.com which apparently I found out is hurricane lasers
    Those are some crazy high prices... the "service" contracts practically approach the price of a new machine, and $20 Chinese eBay optics for $100? BTW, Hurricane is no longer Hurricane, it's all Full Spectrum and all of the associated troubles brought with it.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

So the power supply is from light objects and is a 100w supply
    nop...it's an 80 watt Dan, the operating current for your tube is 28mA (30mA max) that PSU only pumps a max of 26mA when run at 100% so you will never achieve full power in the tube you have paid for.
    You did what !