Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Decent Mobile Base For A 18" Bandsaw?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Howarth View Post
    This is what a buddy of mine and I welded together out of angle iron. There is a piece of 3/4" ply under the saw.
    I wanted the wheele to be splayed out a bit as I was worried about the saw being top heavy.
    the taller wheels bring the table up to a better working height, easier on my back.
    Tom, do you find the wheels getting into your feet's way?
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

John-No, they don't get in the way and I'm pretty clumsy. The table and the fence rail protrude more than where the wheels are attached. I've never bolted the base to the band saw to the mobile base, (yet). The weight of the band saw keeps it in place. The whole thing moves about quite easily even with the big expansion grooves in the garage floor.
    sorry for the upside-down pictures, by-the-way...

Quote Originally Posted by joe milana View Post
    Heres one of mine. Some 1 x 2 square steel tubing, eight bolts, and four zambus leveling casters. Simple & bulletproof.
    Attachment 310081
    Same, I shamelessly stole the idea off of someone on here. Exceedingly happy with this design, it actually made the saw MORE stable because its wider than the original base. Can't recommend this design enough, simply fantastic. I usually only lock down the two front wheels (facing the saw from the side) unless I'm pushing something heavier than I strictly ought to be through it.

The HTC1000 is - imho - completely useless for everything. I have it under a couple of machines because I bought two before I figured out what a n absolutely horrible design it is.
    The HTC2000 is just as bad.
    The HTC3000 is actually usable and doesn't require tipping everything to precarious angles to move it. I was originally going to put that under my bandsaw until I saw the above design. I do have one under my one drill press with a fairly wide base made out of three layers of glued and screwed 3/4" plywood. Its pretty stable and moves fairly easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Julie, you really need to go with a semi live skid design.....Rod
    I know... I'm still trying to make this thing work.

I got the new wheels yesterday. They are much better than the ones that came with the MB.

They roll better and don't raise the front up so much. I had to apply a generous portion of grease to the cams to get it to work but it's still not easy to change height positions. At least it's possible now. And I love the way it rolls now. The wheels were only $6/EA but light years better than the originals.

The originals with the bent cam. This was the problem corner.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Hi Julie, in a semi-live skid design the bandsaw doesn't tilt side to side. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16Nhq5swos8 Please have a look at the above video, at aproximately 50 seconds you'll see the saw being moved. The semi-live design keeps the saw from moving without locking wheels, and only raises the saw a fraction of an inch above the floor. There's a reason so many bandsaw manufacturers provide that mobility kit from the factory...........Rod.
    Rod's description for this is very accurate. I have 8 or 9 large mobile tools. My Laguna bandsaw with its semi skid design moves more easily than any other
    and doesn't feel like its going to tip at all

I just bought a used Sears BAS 350 bandsaw from a fellow sawmill creek member.

I needed a mobile base so I could roll it against the wall when not in use. After checking the available commercial models, I decided to build my own. I found a design I liked on youtube, and built it last night. it only cost me 4 HF wheels ($4 ea). I had the galvanized pipe, hardware and plywood already. It uses wooden cams to raise and lower the wheels as needed.

Here is a picture of the wheels raised up, so the bandsaw sits fully on its legs:
    IMG_3191 small.jpg

Here is a picture of the wheels lowered so it can roll around:

IMG_3192 small.jpg

A side view picture of the pipe "handle" that raises and lowers the wheels:

IMG_3193 small.jpg

Finally, a picture of one of the two wood cams:

IMG_3194 small.jpg

It works well, and almost all the hardware is inside the base (except for the handle) to keep me from tripping over it or banging my ankle on it.

Here is the link to the youtube original post of the idea:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMdKdglWMHo

Steve

Blog Entries
    For my 18" bandsaw (Jet JWBS-18QT-3), I used the Jet Heavy-duty Mobile Base. I attached the bandsaw to 3/4" ply about 2'x2' in size, then dropped it into the base. It is solid during working and rolls easily when I need it to.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

8. Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    For my 18" bandsaw (Jet JWBS-18QT-3), I used the Jet Heavy-duty Mobile Base. I attached the bandsaw to 3/4" ply about 2'x2' in size, then dropped it into the base. It is solid during working and rolls easily when I need it to.
    Right on. I have a monster Delta/Rockwell 20" with cast iron variable speed gearbox and optional blade welder. This saw weights between 900-1000 lbs. The Jet Heavy Duty is the only commercial mobile base that gets the job done. I was amazed at how effortless and safe it was to push that sucker around my shop on that base.

I was so happy I picked up two more bases - one for my powermatic mortiser and used another on my parks planer. The outboard locking wheels work much better than that foot lever design on the cheaper models.

Steve, How is the saw working out for you? Did it make the trip back home ok?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Gojevic View Post
    I just bought a used Sears BAS 350 bandsaw from a fellow sawmill creek member.

I needed a mobile base so I could roll it against the wall when not in use. After checking the available commercial models, I decided to build my own. I found a design I liked on youtube, and built it last night. it only cost me 4 HF wheels ($4 ea). I had the galvanized pipe, hardware and plywood already. It uses wooden cams to raise and lower the wheels as needed.

Here is a picture of the wheels raised up, so the bandsaw sits fully on its legs:
    IMG_3191 small.jpg

Here is a picture of the wheels lowered so it can roll around:

IMG_3192 small.jpg

A side view picture of the pipe "handle" that raises and lowers the wheels:

IMG_3193 small.jpg

Finally, a picture of one of the two wood cams:

IMG_3194 small.jpg

It works well, and almost all the hardware is inside the base (except for the handle) to keep me from tripping over it or banging my ankle on it.

Here is the link to the youtube original post of the idea:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMdKdglWMHo

Steve

Rob:

I made it home pretty fast, there wasn't much traffic.

I love the bandsaw. It makes my old 12" Sears seem like a toy.

I already used it to resaw some 2x4s into angled backers for mounting crown moulding in several bedrooms. I had to cut about 100 linear feet and it went fast.

Steve

Glad to hear it Steve! My new band saw arrives tomorrow Grizzly G0513X2BF. I can't wait!