Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drilling Electrical Grommets

I did a Google search, and was amazed at how many variations there are http://www.amazon.com/Hole-Pro-Adapt...MS8ZE0M0KD7R03
    and then you need the 25 buck vacuum adaptor: http://www.amazon.com/Hole-Pro-Shiel..._bxgy_hi_img_y

I've always just cobbled up something that I stole out of the kitchen.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 03-27-2015 at 4:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    A dust shroud is what you're looking for, I believe.

This may be silly but a Cool Whip container upside-down with a hole for the drill/bit and a side extraction of a vacuum hose ought to do the trick.
    I did this when drilling a hole in sheetrock for a new can light, although I didn't use a cool whip container. People actually like that stuff? I used a plastic tray that is used to put under house plants, I think I paid 75 cents for the thing, and it worked like a charm!

Festool makes a accessory just for this purpose. I think its not available in the united states though. If you go tothe festool forum there is a guy that imports stuff to the US thats only available over seas..

i think his handle is Smartanblass or something. I purchased from him twice and all went perfect.

Well...I received my new Bosch HDC200 today, headed for the shop to play with it asap.

Upon reading the instructions, they didn't recommend using it on wood as the chips would plug the exhaust port, to bad, I'm doing it anyway.

Both the small & large Festool vac. hoses fit it. The large one isn't as tight as the smaller one, I used the large one.

I used a piece of 1 1/4" Ash for my tests.

1st was a 1/2 brad point drill, NO problem almost 100% chip collection. From there, went to a 3/4" Forstener bit, easy money there too, next was a 1 1/8" spade bit, not a problem, I'm seeing a trend.... . Lastly, I removed the brush and went at it with a 2 1/2" hole saw, once again, almost NO chips/dust.

I'm impressed. Bill, I think this will do what you need without a problem.

Ed

I ordered the Bosch last Monday but I have not received it yet. I appreciate the update as I have about 15 grommets to drill next week. And yes my customer has all there computer equipment set up. So this might be the ticket to cutting down on the mess. 90% of my work is done in doctor offices with plenty of nurses that all want there say on there personal desk set up. One thing I have learned is you go above and beyond with your customers and they keep you coming back for new projects and they recommend you to other offices at the complex. And I would rather spend my time making money around ladies in scrubs. Life is good.

Bill

I received the Bosch HDC250 hammer drill dust port Monday and got to use it in a real world situation today drilling 6 grommets in a couple of occupied desk tops today. I will say this unit is rather large but can accept a 6" hole saw. I use it for 2 3/8" grommets for electronic wires. I had it hooked up to a rigid small shop vac. The hose was loose so a little bit of yellow tape and all was good. When the vac is turned on it sucks itself to the laminate counter top and stays in place. It has a separate chamber that provides the suction. It did not suck up all of the dust made by drilling the grommet but it did contain 100% of the dust in the unit. Let me take that back there was some dust below the top on the floor. With wires and computer equipment all over the counter top this was an excellent purchase. I will be using it for some more work in the next few days and get a better idea on how it works especially in tight places. I will also take some pics. I did not have my Festool CT22 today but will see how it attaches to the hose end.

So far its seam's to be an excellent tool especially for only $50.00.

Thanks to Ed and all other recommendations posted.

Bill

I've done similiar with a 2 liter bottle cut off