Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drilling Electrical Grommets

Drilling Electrical Grommets

I do a lot of laminate counter tops in occupied offices. My delima is once complete they position there computers and want me to then drill the grommets in the tops once they have the desk set cup. This is a dusty mess due to the particle board. Has anyone come up with a dust collection system to get close enough to the back splash?

I would like to attach to my Festool CT22 vac and typically use a 2 3/8" grommet.

Bill

I just used a small vac while I was drilling holes in Pharmacy counters while the store was in operation.

Just attach your Festool CT22 vac and go to work.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by William A Johnston View Post
    I do a lot of laminate counter tops in occupied offices. My delima is once complete they position there computers and want me to then drill the grommets in the tops once they have the desk set cup. This is a dusty mess due to the particle board. Has anyone come up with a dust collection system to get close enough to the back splash?

I would like to attach to my Festool CT22 vac and typically use a 2 3/8" grommet.

Bill
    At work we have a short scrap of plastic pipe about 3" ID and 3" high that the vac hose fits in.

It sits on the floor and we drill the hole. (We use it for anchoring racks).

regards, Rod.

I just use my battery-powered vac to clean-up after the hole is done. Never seems like a problem.

Place your shop vac hose next to the cutting area and it will suck up most of the dust/debris as you're drilling. Works for us.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Possibly a dust control attachment used for drilling masonry. The vacuum holds it in place, you drill though the center.

Bosch make one that might work.

http://www.boschtools.com/Products/T...d=HDC200#specs

Ed
    Last edited by Ed Labadie; 03-27-2015 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Wrong link....

Look at the things made for drilling holes in ceilings for recessed lights-for ideas or maybe even to use if the large diameter is not an issue.

Ed,

Thank you, I have tried holding the vacuum hose to the bit but it still spraya dust everywhere. It appears the Bosch attachment just might be the ticket. They offer the model you posted and a model 250 for a bigger diameter hole. I am going to order one and give it a try.

Thanks again I'll repost after I get it and give it whirl.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by William A Johnston View Post
    Ed,

Thank you, I have tried holding the vacuum hose to the bit but it still spraya dust everywhere. It appears the Bosch attachment just might be the ticket. They offer the model you posted and a model 250 for a bigger diameter hole. I am going to order one and give it a try.

Thanks again I'll repost after I get it and give it whirl.

Bill

Your welcome, Bill.

After I posted, got to thinking about how handy one of them would be......soooooo, I ordered one too.

Ed

DeWalt also makes one that covers both large and small bit diameters.

DEWALT DWH050K Large Hammer Drilling Dust Extraction System
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

A dust shroud is what you're looking for, I believe.

This may be silly but a Cool Whip container upside-down with a hole for the drill/bit and a side extraction of a vacuum hose ought to do the trick.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Easy, have them plan better and do a mockup to layout the holes so you don't have to cut them in the field.

The customer is always right, Matt.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

But if the customer changes an approved drawing after the work was done, he/she gets a change order!