Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Indiana and Indy local wood folks - good lumber mill for large slabs or planks?

Indiana and Indy local wood folks - good lumber mill for large slabs or planks?

Folks I'm going to build a bench for using hand tools finally ala Christopher Schwarz. I'm looking for a local or regional Lumber company that might have larger slabs of either Ash or cherry. What! Fancy Cherry for a bench? Once built I expect my sons to be figuring out who get's it someday after I've exited stage right. I know a lot of folks use Frank Miller but just wondering if there's somebody else out there, we have so many good places and sawyers all around the area.

thanks for your help.

I've always been able to get whatever I need from Johnson's. I'm in South Bend and they have a branch here but their home store and actual mill is two hours north in Charlotte, MI. Good folks, reasonably priced.

I agree with Matt on Johnson's Workbench in South Bend. Rich Eberly (http://www.eberlywoods.com/) does a lot of wide slab work, high quality and relatively inexpensive--definitely NOT cheap, but very good pricing for what he does. He's planning a delivery trip to Indy in the next few days--last i saw his schedule he was planning Indy for March 31. Take a look at some of his crotch walnut, you may reconsider the wood choice!!
    earl

If your willing to come all the way up here to South Bend then go a little bit further and give Hickory and Oak saw mill a chance. http://www.hickoryandoak.com/lumber.htm They have fair pricing and can usually make pieces more specific to your order since they handle all the milling and drying there. Johnsons just gets a shipment of wood in from Charlote from time to time so it's a little bit harder to get exactly what your looking for usually.
    Last edited by keith micinski; 03-27-2015 at 11:26 PM.

You might call Roger at Bonesteel (http://www.bonesteelmillandmolding.com/) I don't know that he carries many slabs in inventory, but he might cut something for you or you could go with his 8/4 material.
    Another small operator is Dan Cassen in West Lafayette, IN. (http://www.cassenstrees.com/). Looks like he recently changed his web site and no longer lists his lumber on-line, but provides a number to call.
    I've done business with Series Hardwood out of Attica as well. They might be able to source some slabs for you, or you might be interested in 8/4 or 10/4 stock they have on hand. https://www.facebook.com/serieshardwoods. Finally Rusty Miller of R.D. Construction in Lafayette Indiana has a small inventory. I know he has some thick cherry slaps destined for fireplace mantels. He does some custom woodworking and small scale sawyering (3345 Old US 231, Lafayette 765.447.4336).
    Last edited by Joe A Faulkner; 03-28-2015 at 12:59 AM.

I would also check out Northwest Lumber in indianapolis. They may be able to help. I have bought exotic and domestic from them and they have good quality.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Thanks for the reminder Keith. I forgot i even had Hickory & Oak bookmarked. I've not been there yet, but sure looks like good material at fair pricing--especially for shorts.
    earl

Whit,

A bit of a drive from Indy but Seifker Sawmill just outside Lima Ohio has 8/4 ash for $2 /bf. They're about 45 minutes east of Fort Wayne. I bought the ash there for my bench a few months ago and I've used them for a few years. Never had a problem. Be sure to take along a flashlight since the storage area isn't the best lit space you would hope.

Cliff
    The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.
    Charles Bukowski

Then there's salvaged barn beams: http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/mat/4914254200.html

Carson's Lumber Mill in Sunman has good prices and some slabs too. You can call and see what he has. They are between Indy and Cincy off 74.

Anyone ever use Hollingsworth Lumber southwest of Kokomo? I'm on the north side of Indy and I've looked at their prices online but haven't ever driven up there

Real fast I want to say thanks a bunch guys. Lots of good leads I see here. FYI I get lumber @ Northwest because they are close to me, Avon, IN. I find that they have okay stuff maybe a bit higher than mills further out. They have some slab stuff but limited.

Also since I've waited years I'm not building this bench starting next week. I'm finishing some shelving, workshop storage and a few built-in bookcases my wife has waited for years to get so the bench might be summer project.

Thanks for that update. I have lots of good options and visits when it's time to build this bench.

15. Quote Originally Posted by whit richardson View Post
    Folks I'm going to build a bench for using hand tools finally ala Christopher Schwarz. I'm looking for a local or regional Lumber company that might have larger slabs of either Ash or cherry. What! Fancy Cherry for a bench? Once built I expect my sons to be figuring out who get's it someday after I've exited stage right. I know a lot of folks use Frank Miller but just wondering if there's somebody else out there, we have so many good places and sawyers all around the area.

thanks for your help.
    I make slabs up here by Fort Wayne. Am I allowed to post my website on here? www.mg-wood.com
    If you still need something feel free to contact me.