Thread: Big drawers, real big

Big drawers, real big

I was called a few months back and asked if I can add some 48" drawers to an island. Intrigued, I drove an hour and 15 minutes to check it out. The cabin turned out to be a second home to a couple who needed more storage space in their kitchen. I didn't take a before picture.

There's nothing special about this project other than it's size and uniqueness. I only built the drawers and supplied the drawer guides. The home owner had his farm hand create the drawer faces and stated the guy will also finish the drawers. They might be wavy, but they somewhat adhere to feel of the islands overall design.

18.5" wide x 48" deep x 10" tall.
    Drawer guides are KV8900 Extra Heavy Duty - 500lb load. They weigh 20lbs a pair!!!

Front view of drawers closed.
    IMG_3558.jpg

We hid the drawer guides with rough sawn material matching the island.
    IMG_3559.jpg

I set the bottom guide on the floor to mount it and attached the 3/4" ribs on the floor as well to help stop dust and debris. With the drawer face attached 1/4" off the floor I put about 100lbs of force on these guides while fully extended and the drawer face didn't hit the floor.
    IMG_3560.jpg

Seriously ridiculous! The guides operated more smoothly than a 20" guide of similar design.

IMG_3561.jpg

I gave them some flexibility in storage with removable dividers. The center divider is glue and fixed to provide rigidity. If you've ever messed with 1/2" BB, you know how it can flex.

IMG_3563.jpg

I offered to fix his farm hand's work on the drawer faces, but he said he'd let the wife decide.
    IMG_3562.jpg

FYI: these guides don't separate into 2 piece cabinet guide and drawer mount slide. They have lightening holes to access screw holes. We had to use shims to hold the drawers in place with the guide fully extended and then attach with #10x1 square tip screws.

A fun project that didn't hit me with any crazy surprises.
    -Lud

I did a couple of 4'x4' drawers in a commercial kitchen using 500#slides. My brother and I stood in the drawer when it was fully extended and they didn't even wince. I winced a bit when I paid for them though. I think the ones I used were Accurides though.....

Drawers definitely outclass what they are in.....

I hadn't built any that big before when I took the job. After I priced them from my vendor, I notified the homeowner of the price. He didn't flinch. "Wife wants them, do it."
    Last edited by Justin Ludwig; 03-27-2015 at 8:07 PM.
    -Lud

I notified the homeowner of the price. He didn't flinch. "Wife wants them, do it."
    The flinching starts when she finds out she didn't get what she wants.

Blog Entries
    Cowabunga. That oughta add some stash space to the place.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Couldn't imagine that much cantilevered weight. Nicely done.

That house will have the best 'Hide and Seek' games.

Blog Entries
    And I thought the 28" slide I just bought for our pantry remodel were large. Hopefully the table either weighs a ton or is anchored to the floor or wall.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by mike mcilroy View Post
    The flinching starts when she finds out she didn't get what she wants.
    That would be a bummer! She saw them before installed and was thrilled. The bad part was me calling her Lucy when her name is Joan! I'm the world's worst with names. It was4 months between my initial consult and the delivery, so that's my excuse!

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    And I thought the 28" slide I just bought for our pantry remodel were large. Hopefully the table either weighs a ton or is anchored to the floor or wall.
    It's anchored to the island cabinets and has a single slab 3cm granite top. I should hope it wouldn't budge.
    -Lud

Awesome idea on the dividers for the pullout beds—

—drawers. I mean drawers.

Well done. You've got some seriously big drawers! Ha

I wish you did the drawer fronts too though!

I offered, but he wanted his farm hand to do them. You should have seen the glue smears on the back side! I even offered to remake the drawers after he saw how warped they were, but it's just a 2nd home (cabin) to the guy and his wife was happy so we left it.
    -Lud

13. Reminds me of the Seinfeld episode with the Japanese business men sleeping in the large dresser.

14. Very nice. I want to do something with big slides for a future pantry but never thought about building into something like this table-thanks for getting me thinking. Nicely done. That would hold a lot of pots or gear!