Thread: Building a Fireplace Mantle

Building a Fireplace Mantle

I intend to replace the oak mantle around my fireplace, which is from 1951, with something like this. mantle.jpg

Thinking of doing it myself, but have not done one before. I have the woodworking equipment and furniture building skills, but need help with the design,
    construction and installation.

Can anyone provide a good source for a detailed "how to" ? Video is preferred.

I looked on the web, and most of what is out there is too superficial for me to rely on.

Thanks to all,

Len

It's less complicated than it looks.

You can see that it is 3 parts, the base, the mantel surround and the top.

Anyone with decent woodworking skills can do this. Just break it down into it's components.

Think of it as three different jobs.

First build the base.

Then build the mantel surround and set it on the base.

Then build the top and set it on the mantel.

All any of it is, really, is a frame with applied moulding. Look past the beauty of it and take it apart in your head.

Agree with Dave, except for what to do first. Look at some photos of chimney pieces from a source other than current
    magazines. There are much better examples ,and that one will be hopelessly out of date soon.

Can we see the old mantel too? I really like some of the olde ones.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

For a classic look which appears to be your interest, there is an order of architecture typically defined by a column (Corinthian, Doric, Tuscan). So the base (plinth, torus, scotia), the column itself with fluting perhaps maybe even entasis, capped off with a "capital" and abacus. Then the entablature comprised of architrave, frieze and cornice. A classically designed cabinet or mantle surround will typically leverage these parts of some classical order and then proportions derived from rules such as the golden rectangle. I'd review some photos on Houzz to see what I like, then leverage these elements to design something that can be built. Or hire an architect.

Some videos:

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/vide...462460,00.html
    http://www.ronhazelton.com/projects/..._tile_surround
    http://www.ronhazelton.com/projects/...replace_mantel
    http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/tv/a...640530,00.html

When planning such a project, should check for requirements on clearances on combustible materials (i.e., how close any wood can be)
    Also, have heard that you need to consider rising heat if you are thinking of putting any electronics (i.e., TV) above.

Matt
    Last edited by Matthew Hills; 03-28-2015 at 9:22 AM.

Proportions are as important on mantles as any other architectural element. Not too long ago, I needed to make some replacements to go along with some originals in a 200 year old plantation house. They had been stolen. When checking the existing ones with dividers for proportions, exact fractions showed up on every part. I'll see if I can find one of the preliminary drawings that still has the compass swing marks on it next week, and post it. Every ghost left by the stolen mantles was different in height and width ratios than any of the existing ones, so there was no making exact copies.

Two fairly recent books that are a big help are: Get Your House Right, and By Hand and Eye

Pleasing proportions are not hard to find, but not immediately obvious either. Small differences in proportions make a big difference in overall appearance.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 03-28-2015 at 9:45 AM.

I attack those in sections. I decide the moldings to be used, then the margins I want. I usually have to base the look/design off of a picture given to me.

1) Base - how much seating room desired? Height (may be determined by the fireplace if already set)

2) Lower columns - Are there studs available to secure the nailers/backbands to? I use 75# screw-in-drywall anchors if not.

3) Mantle - It secures to the lower columns, capped then crowned. There's a lot of different ways you can approach it.

4) Upper columns are the same as the lower - except your top rail will accommodate the crown molding that will wrap to keep margins equal.

5) Top middle/wainscot/picture frame.

I build these in the shop and then take them to the site in the respective pieces. Last one I built was half that size - took 4 hours in the shop and 30 minutes on site (not including paint). Henry (2).jpg This is a much simpler mantle than your picture. Distressed shaker style.

Their trim/household painters were supposed to match my cabinets and this mantle. You can see they're color blind. The homeowner didn't mind, but I cringe at the clash.
    -Lud

Thanks everyone for the info, very helpful. Those videos were great.

I appreciate all the responses!

Len