Thread: A Plum Screwy Little Box.

A Plum Screwy Little Box.

Which translated means, "A threaded box made from Plum". This is the finished version of the box that I showed having threads cut into it with my new threading jig.

Box is 4-1/8" in Diameter, 1-1/4" high(1.5" counting the grip), but it is very shallow at 5/8", but then it was just to test my threading jig. Finish so far is one coat of satin WOP(will probably be the only coat).
    IMG_0581_0_2_Detail.jpgIMG_0584_3_5_Detail.jpg
    IMG_0587_6_8_Detail.jpgIMG_0590_89_1_Detail.jpg
    IMG_0593_2_4_Detail.jpgIMG_0596_5_7_Detail.jpg
    IMG_0599_8_600_Detail.jpg

C&C welcomed especially on the threading.

"The best things in life are not things."

love that plum......threading is a plus

Pretty piece of wood. Loved your threading jig!!

Yep, that's a plum pretty box and a nifty threading rig too. Learning hand threading is on my todo list and getting pretty high.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

I will be interested to know how a 4" threaded box behaves with changes in humidity. When it get humid this summer please tell us if the threads bind.

Beautiful plum wood. Love the coloring.

Red
    RED

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Red Bemont View Post
    Beautiful plum wood. Love the coloring.
    Red
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie knighton View Post
    love that plum......threading is a plus
    Quote Originally Posted by daryl moses View Post
    Pretty piece of wood. Loved your threading jig!!
    Thanks Randy/Charlie/Daryl, Plum does have some great coloring and it turns nicely. Just wish I had some larger pieces. I have quite a bit of small stuff that has some severe checking, way too many cracks. It was harvested(more like "chopped down") becase it was dying by a friend from his yard at the peak of growing season. The pieces I got(salvaged) were dripping wet when I got them. Daryl the next project for the jig will most likely be a small pet urn. I will be able to do a better eval of my jig after the urn.

Quote Originally Posted by Thom Sturgill View Post
    Yep, that's a plum pretty box and a nifty threading rig too. Learning hand threading is on my todo list and getting pretty high.
    Hi Thom, thanks for commenting. I am just a little too impatient to try hand chased threads, I would rather focus on the vessel instead of its threads. Yes I think the jig will be a big help for me. Currently it cuts 10tpi threads, I will eventually add another "advancing" threaded rod that will give me 8tpi.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Gilbert View Post
    I will be interested to know how a 4" threaded box behaves with changes in humidity. When it get humid this summer please tell us if the threads bind.
    Thanks for the comments Paul. I plan on keeping this little box so I should be able to report on its behavior over time. I will try to keep everyone posted.

Very nice looking box. Threading with 10tpi is interesting, did it seem a little large and would a 16tpi be better for the small tenon?
    p.s. The relief cut you mentioned on the (threading jig post) is normally always needed for the lid thread to go all the way to the end! A small chamfer on the lid and tenon is also good to allow the cutter to start the cut easier. Cleaning the thread with a toothbrush is also good to remove the fuzzies left by the cutter.

I want to check out a smaller diameter 60 degree cutter. Currently We are restricted to a 3/4" inside mortise in the lid due to the size of the cutter. Smaller tubes/boxes needle tubes could use a 3/8" diameter cutter, will check Enco to see if one exists! ???

Keep making threaded boxes, they can be addictive! Almost a "vortex" in themselves.
    Peter F.

P.S. For anyone knowing where I can buy the MT2 draw collet with 3/8" opening??? Looked on Enco site but cannot find it.
    A Canadian retailer would be good, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Fabricius View Post
    Very nice looking box. Threading with 10tpi is interesting, did it seem a little large and would a 16tpi be better for the small tenon? Hi again Peter, actually I was thinking that 10tpi seem like a fine thread when looking at a 3"+ diameter thread, that's why I want to have the capability for 8tpi as I noted in the other thread.
    p.s. The relief cut you mentioned on the (threading jig post) is normally always needed for the lid thread to go all the way to the end! Yes, figured that out. A small chamfer on the lid and tenon is also good to allow the cutter to start the cut easier. Did that too, saw it in the demo vid for the EZ Pro. Cleaning the thread with a toothbrush is also good to remove the fuzzies left by the cutter. Will remember the us of a brush for the future but the Plum cut so clean it needed nothing more then an air hose.

I want to check out a smaller diameter 60 degree cutter. Currently We are restricted to a 3/4" inside mortise in the lid due to the size of the cutter. Smaller tubes/boxes needle tubes could use a 3/8" diameter cutter, will check Enco to see if one exists! ??? Hmm... hadn't thought about smaller "openings", mine is also a 3/4", post here if you find one smaller.

Keep making threaded boxes, they can be addictive! Almost a "vortex" in themselves.
    Peter F.

P.S. For anyone knowing where I can buy the MT2 draw collet with 3/8" opening??? Looked on Enco site but cannot find it. Got an MT3 but that won't help you none, not sure where to find MT2 but Enco or Little Machine shop are good bets.
    A Canadian retailer would be good, thanks.
    Thanks for posting Peter, I will continue as you suggested in the other thread and also keep the above info in mind.

That's "plum pretty" !!
    Member Illiana Woodturners