Thread: 46-450 lathe banjo & tailstock problem

46-450 lathe banjo & tailstock problem

I just picked up a 46-450 lathe for 500 $. The woman's husband had died and she did not know much about the lathe. It has 2 banjos one works really like you would expect it to the other moves front to back in a jerky motion and can't see why it does not move smoothly like the other. The tailstock slowly slips backward with steb centers or drilling. I put the second banjo behind the tailstock to keep it from slipping. Any advise how to fix these problems let me know. He had a reversing switch on the 1 hp single phase motor and his wife said he had colored lights to tell him if he was going forward or in reverse but took them off for some reason and placed aluminum panels. I will not be using the reverse feature and would not need a light to tell me if going in reverse. He had a outboard attachment on the headstock I took off as I have another lathe for turning bowels, will just be using this for spindle turning. Everything else works fine.FullSizeRender.jpg

Allen can't help with the lathe but was curious what kind of snake was on the floor ?
    Last edited by Brian Myers; 03-28-2015 at 10:10 AM.
    I know the voices in my head aren't real but boy do they come up with some good ideas !
    People discuss my art and pretend to understand as if it were necessary to understand, when it's simply necessary to love. - Claude Monet

Allen,
    The solution for the slipping banjo and tailstock is in the adjustment of the clamping pressure. The balky front-n-rear adjustment of the banjo might resolve in the process.
    Orientation first. Banjo and tailstock clamp to the bed in the same fashion. The handles of each are pinned to a shaft which is offset ground to act as a single-lobe camshaft. When you twist the handle, you rotate the cam to lift or lower an eyebolt which passes through the slot in the bed to move a clamping plate. The plate rises to grab the bed... and falls to release. The adjustment is in a nut which secures the plate to the eye-bolt stem. Righty-tighty, lefty-loosey.
    Just looking at the photo and assuming both banjos are snugged down, the handle of the one on the left looks too slack. A clockwise turn for more clamping pressure will also bring the handle position at lock to something like its neighbor on the right in the picture.
    I can't make out the handle position behind the tailstock. but the above applies as well to it.
    The nuts are accessible from under the bed, but... This vintage lathe is new-to-you and has unknown mileage/maintenance. I recommend you slide all three items off to view the parts which make the clamping action and their bases which make the sliding action. The cam lobe in the banjo also accommodates a sliding action.
    The base surface of all three should be clean, rust-free metal. Excessive wax or lube can attract wood dust and sanding grit; each causes a different problem. If necessary, clean with mineral spirits and 0000 steel wool, apply Johnson's floorwax or Boeshield to the contact surface and buff off excess.
    RE: balky front-n-rear adjustment of banjo position. The balk might resolve with a reduction in the effective length of the eye-bolt stem (it can tip when you push/pull). So... examine the banjo shaft. Turn it bottom up. Remove dust and caked crud, if present. Turn the locking handle to rotate the shaft for view/access to the lobe. Using eyeball or pinky, check for wear or galling from contact with the eyebolt under tension. If present and slight, buff it out with lengthwise strokes of very fine abrasive. If present and severe, disassemble and go to it more vigorously or find an organ donor. When done, wax or Boeshield as above.
    Final item: bed check. If it looks it, clean and treat the bed surface as above.
    Hope this helps. That's a fine old lathe.

BobV
    Last edited by Bob Vallaster; 03-28-2015 at 4:41 AM.

I turn wood with an open garage door facing the street, I use 2 strong blowers and chips and dust go out the door. Jehovah Witnesses, UPS and others wander up, when they look terrified at my rubber rattlesnake, I look shocked and take a stick and whizz it at their feet and watch them freaking out. Not real nice I suppose, I have gotten a lot of mileage out of that snake. Allen

Allen you really made me laugh , love it !
    I know the voices in my head aren't real but boy do they come up with some good ideas !
    People discuss my art and pretend to understand as if it were necessary to understand, when it's simply necessary to love. - Claude Monet

welcome to the board Allen, looking forward to seeing your turnings and more snake stories.

Had the same jerky motion with the banjo on my 46-460. Lubricating the shaft in the banjo made it work quite well. Apparently the clamping bolt from the banjo to the clamp was being pulled out of alignment by binding on the shaft. Lubing the shaft relieved the binding, and it worked like it is supposed to.
    The hurrier I goes, the behinder I gets.

Thanks will figure out what and how to post, latest turnings 6 Kendamas for my 6 grandchildren that will see Easter. They are a Japanese skill toy for children and adults that build hand eye coordination. They were turned on a Oneway 10-18 lathe that I bought in 1999 one of their firsts with 1/2 hp motor, they later went to 1 hp and then later quit making the lathe all together. I also make threaded boxes, nutmeg grinders, toilet paper holders. I don't like making pens and that sort of stuff. I tried to include a picture of them but can't make it happen.

Allen, the Tech Support Forum has a couple of different tutorials on how to post photos here. This one is the most recent: Posting Photos

Le us know if you have any problems.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!