Thread: Log Holder for Chain Saw

Log Holder for Chain Saw

IMG_1125.jpgIMG_1126.jpgIMG_1127.jpg
    My old log holder had seen better days, so here is the 4th version. I went with sections of 2x8 for holder and 2x6 supports this time. The spacing is staggered to allow for different size sections and hopefully multiple cuts on a log/tree section. The crotch was cut earlier but shows how it will allow for splitting or cutting the pith out. Of course, there is the damage to the stand, but it holds up pretty well. The 2x2 underneath at each end of base fits the saw horses and makes the stand stable and allows using at a good working height.

I need to build one of those. It would sure beat trying to cut them on the ground.

I use a pallet. Poor working height but it was free and I don't care about damage to it. I did double check for nails where I do the cutting.

Log Processing Center

Photo of my log processing center attached. Got plans from Minnesota Woodturners Association. Plans too large to post on this forum. If interested in plans, send me your e-mail address and I will provide. - John
    Attached Images Attached Images

I made one a few years ago and it still works great. I got the plans online from the Minnesota Woodturners Association too. I thinks this type of link is allowed here, but if not (pardon me) it is easily searchable. "MWA Log Processing Center Kit"
    Attached Images Attached Images

When in the field I just cut a "V" wedge into the engrained of a stood up log. Longer log make two. Get done, cross cut the wedge off and take that round home also.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

I do not have a riser for my bandsaw so need to do all splitting of logs with chainsaw. I also like to cut out a 15%D or more pith slab from larger stock (over 8") and make a lot of smaller blanks, 4 to 8"D stock, and often cut L=1.5D for natural edge that requires splitting. I do work the larger pieces (over 100#) on the ground before setting on holder for final work. I did buy a 2x8-8' and 2x6-8' treated for about $15 and reused most of the screws from earlier stand, so about $20 but sure saves my back.

I had my most recent 4 logs sliced to perfect bowl blank slabs by a friend with a bandsaw mill. something to be said for nice even slabs that I didnt have to break my back for

One of the better things I did with my chainsaw chopsaw was to build a 6 foot long ramp to roll the logs up to get them to comfortable cutting height. Can't throw them up on one shoulder and go running off with them any more. Video on You Tube if you haven't seen it yet.

robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    One of the better things I did with my chainsaw chopsaw was to build a 6 foot long ramp to roll the logs up to get them to comfortable cutting height. Can't throw them up on one shoulder and go running off with them any more. Video on You Tube if you haven't seen it yet.

robo hippy
    Reed - I have seen your You Tube and you have a Lexus model and mine is a Yugo, but then I don't do as many or as large sections as you are doing. My lifting does seem to go down each year recently and that explains breaking some down on the ground.