Thread: 1st Block Plane / 1st Plane Rehab Gloat

1st Block Plane / 1st Plane Rehab Gloat

I've been toying with the idea of getting a block plane from Veritas because I really like my #6 LA Jack Plane by them. However I always balk at the price. I was at an antique mall and found this for $20. The adjustable mouth felt flush and it actually worked when I tried it so I decided to try a rehab.
    p2.pngp3.jpg

The adjustable mouth felt flush and it actually worked when I tried it so I decided to try a rehab. About an hour with Liquid wrench, 220, 320, 400 grits for the sole and sides I ended up here.
    p4.pngp5.png

Then about 15 minutes with the same supplies on the blade then additional honing with 750, 1200, 8000 diamond plates and I ended up here.
    p8.pngp7.pngp9.png

It wasn't quite as easy to use as my LA Jack , there was a little fiddling between the heel of my hand accidentally hitting the depth adjuster ( have to learn how to use a block plane since this is my first) and there is some backlash in the adjuster.
    I didn't want it to look like new I just wanted function and I am incredibly happy with the results I'm getting in that hard maple with so little time invested.
    It actually took as much time to put up this post. Read that as I'm not good on a computer.

I have no idea why only one of these pics can be enlarged I uploaded them all the same, or so I thought. I will see if I can get them to work in a reply.
    Nope same problem. Only thing I see is the one file is a lot smaller.
    Last edited by mike mcilroy; 03-28-2015 at 2:31 AM.

Blog Entries
    Nice work Mike.

My low angle block planes are so useful I have 5 of them.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Jim,

Do you just keep them handy in different locations, are they different types, do you just like having them, couldn't resist a good deal, or have them set up differently?

Just curious why having several? None of my business, just wondering?

I should talk....I have 3.....in different stages of restoration.....and NONE of them done.....sigh.

Mike, nice job!

Thanks and regards,

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 03-28-2015 at 4:23 PM.

Blog Entries
    Stew,

They are usually all on the same shelf when not in use. The two #65 types are set with one for light cuts and the other for end grain or heavier cuts. One of them is often used for light shooting work.

The three #60 types are set up in a similar fashion. One is an LN and is usually set for very light cuts. The maroon Stanley has a slight camber on the blade and the Made in England Stanley is usually set for end grain.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)