Thread: Bowl With No Grain

Bowl With No Grain

This is a follow-up to the ailanthus burl that I posted a while back. It is an onion/layered burl. I cut a slice from the outside of edge of the burl and noticed that the growth rings were extremely wide. I mounted the slice and turned a thin dish following the contour of the growth ring. I was able to get the finished dish entirely out of just one growth ring so there is no grain pattern in the dish. It will be interesting to see how it dries. It is 6.5 inches across about .75 inches high and .25 inches thick.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Could this be a gall?

Huh, that's pretty cool definitely gives a different feeling texture to the appearance. I don't think I've ever seen a growth ring that wide.

It turned out quite like I thought it would, I have turned a few union burls from other type of trees, most were Yellow Birch, and they will show a nice grain when finished real smooth.

The Ailanthus has a nice color and the grain is quite showy in the normal wood, unlike your one layer dish, which is quite unusual all by itself, but doesn’t show what the wood can give you.

This is one of the Ailanthus bowls I turned some years ago, I really like the wood in it

Ailanthus.jpg Ailanthus profile.jpg
    Have fun and take care