Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sphere Jig

Sphere Jig

I wonder if anyone has made a sphere jig that rotates in the vertical rather than the horizontal position?
    I have a home made one made that rotates parallel to the lathe bed. It scrapes rather than cuts. I use a 1/8" high speed steel cutter but sure get a lot of tear out that requires sanding.
    I know, I know, there will be lots of you who say I shouldn't use a jig at all but with the hollow 2 piece spheres I like to make I really need fine tool control and am not quite able to get a wall thickness close to 1/16 by hand.
    It would seem to me that if the bit were riding the bevel I should be able to get a better cut.
    There is at least one commercially available model, I have a threader made by the same company and it works fine but really don't want to spend the extra $$ and anyway I truly like to make jigs for my lathe.
    Here's a unfinished globe to give some sense of what I am making. Sorry about the photo but I have temporarily lost my photo booth/set-up.
    sphere.jpg
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Rig up a ball cutting jig with a trim router and use a router bit to do the cutting. The speed of the lathe along with the speed of the router should get rid of the tear out problem. I learned that from the fishing lure makers.

Could you rig up a router handpiece instead of a scraper? Kind of like the FluteMaster?
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Great ideas guys. Thanks for the suggestions, I now have all sorts of ideas running through my head. I already use a router with my lathe now I just have to figure out how to pivot it the same as my other jig and exactly what bits I should try. I'm very excited. I would like to figure out how to have the same set-up route the inside of the hollow spheres as well. Now to the drawing board!
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *

this does a great job inside:

works like this: (at about 2:30)

Thanks again everyone. I think I'll stick to trying to devise a jig that works with my router.
    Pete

Roger. You are heading for some very serious lung problems!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Probably. I started out in my dads dads shop. His version of babysitting at 4 years old was to have me pick fishing bobbers out of the sawdust behind the lathe. Over the years we turned almost five million. I have never smoked! good thing right? lol I have been in the asbestos removal field though. I do fiber glass and body work, paint, sheet-rock and concrete. I do wear air filtration much of but not all of the time. lungs are good but I did have a run in with leukemia three yeas ago. thanks for the concern!

Hi Marvin. I spent the day in the shop trying to figure out how to set up my trim router to do as you suggest.
    Not gonna work for me, at least the way I have my router mounted. It's just too bulky to get it in close enough on the head stock end.
    I am now working on assembling a Foredom hand piece but am doubtful that it is powerful enough to do the jog. Should know by the end of the week.
    Pete

I think the Foredom has enough power, I use my Foredom to cut flutes etc., with a router bit on the large handle. Search Izzy Swan You Tubes, he has a lot of videos, but some are making spheres with routers.

Check out ht e guy that makes the Flute Master. He uses both a Foredom/Weecheer and an air die grinder with his rig. Richard Morris gave a demo of a home-brew sphere rig at the Florida Symposium this year. Might be worth talking to.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Thanks again Thom. Actually I have made a similar jig to the one Richard Morris uses. I built it before I discovered him but do use his techniques to hollow my spheres. I looked at all the videos of the Flute Master but an not quite sure if it is the tool for me, for lots of reasons.
    Here is a picture of a commercially available one that rotates vertically rather than horizontally like mine. In your experience do you think this motion and tool presentation would cut more cleanly than one like Richard uses?
    sphere-ball-cutting-jig.jpg
    Pete

the flutemaster is only fixed in two axis. the third would be to manually maintain perpendicularity to the axis of rotation.. With this also the template has to be manipulated depending on the size and presentation of the tip of the cutting tool. as for the Morris type tool I would suggest using a bushing made of uhmw between the pivot shaft and the socket it goes onto. with bearings it is too fee to move and can lend to inconsistent feeding. it is possible to make a similar tool that will cut on the inside and out side by reversing the arm and using two individual pivot holes for the two operations. rough turn. chuck up for inside cut. rough cut inside. drop tool onto post. finish cut inside. cut tennon if you use one. reverse half of sphere. rough cut outside. finish outside. repeat for the other side with the socket or other half of tennon.

Making something along the lines of a tool post grinder(used on metal lathes) might work well.

Here are plans for something similar that can be used with router bits.

http://www.billooms.com/Resources/OT...nstruction.pdf