Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brass mouth insert question

Matthew,
    Here is an idea: Use 1/8" thick bass stock. Make (file, hacksaw...) 3 or 4 1/16" deep dovetail grooves across the insert. Fill them with epoxy (J-B Weld?) then attach the insert to the sole. You could also (additionally) score a 1/16" deep kerf (it does not have to be dovetail shape) across the insert, also filled with epoxy before attaching.
    Best wishes,
    Metod

Hi Zander. With the existing brass infil across the mouth area of your transitional plane, I would also suggest installing a brass plate at the heel end of the sole.

That will better protect the back end of the wooden sole against uneven wear patterns

regards Stewie;
    Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 03-31-2015 at 11:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewie Simpson View Post
    Hi Zander. With the existing brass infil across the mouth area of your transitional plane, I would also suggest installing a brass plate at the heel end of the sole.

That will better protect the back end of the wooden sole against uneven wear patterns

regards Stewie;
    I'll wait to see if a problem develops; the bottom is coated with epoxy, which seems to be pretty durable (no detectable wear so far).