Thread: Wood Magazine 3 in 1 bed for all ages

Blog Entries

Wood Magazine 3 in 1 bed for all ages

I'm embarking on building a set of furniture for my soon to arrive granddaughter. My daughter wanted a dresser she could use for a changing table first, so I designed and built this:

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Eventually there will be a matching 5 drawer chest and two end tables. The cases are done, awaiting legs, trim & drawers, but I need to get the crib done before my granddaughter outgrows her bassinet. The dresser will get its top when all the tops are made.

I'm planning on a couple of changes to the crib. My daughter prefers a straight top to the headboard, so it essentially will just be a taller version of the footboard. I am also planning all slats on the ends of the crib and would like to hear how others did this and how the results have stood the test of time. Absent the plywood, I intent to make the outermost slats fully mortised into the rails to resist racking? What have others done? I'm also pondering the width of the end slats. The spacing doesn't work out if they are the same as the sides, so I'd love to see some photos and dimensions others used.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    - Mike

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Looks great. I'm still waiting on my first grandchild and hope to have my shop in order so I can make some furniture when it arrives.

Mike, here is the one I built. Now in use for a month. Rock solid. I only plan on a 2-in-1 ... but can always come up with some type of slide on side rail. I used knock down hardware to hold the sides in place. Wood is Jatoba and Walnut. All mortise and loose tenon joinery.

P1010029-f.JPG P1010031-f.JPG