Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My new shop after we close April 30th!

My new shop after we close April 30th!

Needless to say, making this a workable space will be the greatest project of all. But I have a vision, and I'm committed to seeing it through. My wife and I (after looking at 100s of houses) finally found one that checks every box, including a stand alone space for a future workshop. Check out the photos, and I'm open to ANY AND ALL advice on how to plan and convert this into a functional space. If anyone is near Cape Cod, I'd love to get you out to take a look.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very cool- an old horse barn. Save that horse shoe and for heavens sake, turn it up so your luck doesn't run out!

Lots of potential there! Step #1, insulate!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Damn, I missed that! I'll make sure that happens before closing date.

Thanks, Bruce. Spray in?

BTW, I'm in Brewster. What town are you in? New to the Cape?

Insulation, new flooring, going to be a great space. It looks like it comes with plenty of hammers to complete the project!

Looks like an interesting BIG project ahead for you. Good luck.

Idk it would almost kill me to alter that barn at all its so perfect the way it is. Insulation and electrical work a bunch of 2x4 and plywood idk i wouldn't be able to do it.

Id probably be inclined to get get a horse. Well i guess is go for a pig and a miniature donkey over a horse but still.

Im in Mass but just west of Boston. Regardless that will be a nice shop. I would be very very excited!

How many rooms is it? Could you pick the biggest most accessible one and convert it first with insulation, floor, heat, doors, lights so you have a place to work? Isolate it from the others enough to keep heat in? Looks like an AWESOME elephant to chew one bite at a time. Congrats!
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Looks like you'll have the luxury of having a dedicated clean room for finishing. That makes life so much easier.

Just make sure it's structurally sound before you get too far into it. But assuming it is, it looks like it could make a great shop.

Good luck.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Nice space, will be a fun project.

Congratulations Mac! Living with a basement shop with only a single window (although it is an escape window) I long for an above ground shop with lots of natural light. I think I'd try to find a way to add a couple windows or maybe a skylight to bring in some sunshine.

Enjoy!

Thanks for all the replies, everyone. Yes, it's a big project indeed. There's a lot of excess planking that can be repurposed. My hope is that if I can spray in some insulation, I can take a lot of the existing barnwood to panel over the insulation, reducing the need for, say, sheetrock. For my purposes (as a hobbyist), I don't need a gigantic floorspace, so I think I could use one of the stall areas and convert that into a finishing room. I don't want to completely ruin the barn feel, by any stretch.

It was a horse barn, because back in the early 1800's the town doc rode out from here to make house calls. Once I make sure I have structurally sound walls and a level(ish) floor, I'll have to look into getting a subpanel for 220. I'll need some lighting upgrades, too, naturally and fixtures. I'll keep the progress reports coming, though it'll take quite some time!