Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone burn out a large in-ground stump?

Anyone burn out a large in-ground stump?

I was wondering if anyone has experience burning out a large stump. I've seen some discussion on various methods of stump burning but never done it myself, wondering how successful it is. I have a large (52" diameter) stump in my backyard left over from a dead white oak about 4 years ago. When we cut the tree down we left the stump about 3' tall. Today I spent a few hours cutting it off a ground level, it was kind of like wresting a bear all afternoon. Anyhow, now that's it cut off level I was thinking about drilling some holes down into it and seeing if I could burn all or some of it out. I know grinding is always a option.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by julian abram; 03-29-2015 at 10:52 AM.

I'd rent a grinder. Home Depot rents them around here. Kind of heavy work but if you're willing to keep grinding you can take the stump down pretty far. Your's looks pretty open and accessible.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I have an ongoing project in my yard to burn out stumps using the waste wood from my shop. It works really well on 6"-8" pine stumps that are 8" tall and have been dead for a year. One big fire does the trick. I just fill the hole in with dirt and you can't tell it was ever there. I have a cherry tree stump about half the size of yours that I have burned big hot fires on top of maybe 5 times and it will take that many more to get the stump below ground level. In your case, I think burning fires on top of that tough stump will take approximately forever to make it go away. I pretty much agree with Mike.

Here you go Julian.

http://www.treeremoval.com/stump-rem.../#.VRfRdeHNOgw

I use the fertilizer method. Until I get impatient and call in the reinforcements. I'm taking out a bunch of maples that are shading the garden, and I want to plant a small orchard in their place, so I will opt for the excavator method. I'm too old to wait for stumps to rot........

Larry

Dynamite works well.
    And it's a whole lot more fun.
    Last edited by Myk Rian; 03-29-2015 at 6:34 AM.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I just did a bunch of WO stumps that size. You might have a chance at burning it if you can dig a hole and get under it, otherwise you're looking at a year's worth of bonfires to even make a dent in the thing. Do not rent a home center grinder for that thing! I hired a guy with a walk behind diesel powered grinder, and with new teeth he was around an hour a stump, including chasing roots. If the area is accessible with a truck, then a tow behind offers more power. The local equipment rental should offer these if you don't want to hire it out.

Many years ago, I tried burning out a stump about that size of a maple tree that was felled many years prior. I set fire to that stump about every Saturday for about 5 months using old motor oil as an accelerant. Needless to say, it didn't work. I ended up digging around the stump, cutting most of the roots, and then finally yanking it out with a tractor.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

I have burned them by drilling numerous holes in the stump and then filling the holes with flammable material, refilling, etc. Then send a lighted rag its way but don't get too close. It works but if you live in a large city it might draw attention. Have also used a stump grinder. The grinder's an easier and slightly more legal option.

Fellows, thanks for the suggestions & input on this. I think I'll try the burning method that Larry linked above. I figure after a few frustrated burning attempts I will probably end up calling someone with a stump grinder.

If I'm not in a hurry I use an old tractor rim that we cut out the center. IMG_3587.jpg I just moved those logs today with the tractor. The burned stump is from a brush pile.

This winter I burned a redbud stump. I can mow over it. IMG_3589.jpg

Last year I burned this privet stump. I ended up using the spot to burn more brush. IMG_3588.jpg

Grass comes back wicked thick with bermuda where I burn.
    -Lud

That’s how my father and I removed more stumps than I care to recall over the course of eight years or so.

We’d place a 55 gallon drum over it which had the top and bottoms removed and some additional holes chopped in the sides w/ a hatchet and each night burn the paper trash, sticks and kindling which I gathered and branches and smaller trunks cut to a reasonable length. The next day I’d flip the barrel on its side, scrape away the ash and char and dig as much dirt as was needed to settle the drum down further.

Clearing and stumping land is hard work.

Blog Entries
    Burning stumps is like trying to burn wet, green firewood, only worse with the old roots feeding water to it.. You have to add enough heat to evaporate the water before you will ever get it to burn. Not easy.
    NOW you tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    Dynamite works well.
    And it's a whole lot more fun.
    That's how both my Kansas farm Granddads did it.

Their methods varied only in the color of disposal - One was a die-hard Farmall man, and the other was a die-hard Deere man.

Wrap a chain around it, and drag it the heck out of there.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Tried it never had any luck with it. I suppose if it was lightered it might work.

Have you thought about soaking it with diesel and letting it set for a few days, then see if it will light?

Never had much luck trying to burn them although I have tried many times.
    Quickest way I've found other than a stump grinder is to simply cut them off as close to the ground as possible then cover with dirt, mulch, etc. They usually rot out in a year or so after that.