Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home Depot and their "big" tools

Home Depot and their "big" tools

Wife wanted to look at sinks and faucets at Home Depot yesterday so we trekked to the nearest one (Lex, Ky). I've been needing a new set of blades for my ridgid jointer, so I was game. Got to the tool section and there's no "big" tools (table saw, jointer, drill press, bandsaw). There was a couple of job site and table top models and they did have a ridgid planer and a sliding miter saw but none of the other stuff. Do they not carry them any longer (the "big" ridgid tools (or other brands for that matter) or do some stores have them and not others?

It's not a huge deal as I'm not really in the market for a big tool at the moment, but if they have stopped carrying them, I missed the memo somewhere. DB
    It's called golf because all the other 4-letter words were taken

I haven't seen any of the stationary tools in the Northern Kentucky stores in over a year.

They stopped stocking them around here (and presumably most if not all stores) probably 4 or 5 years ago.

I think they finally realized having all that stock just sitting there collecting dust was a waste of space and $$$. Now if you want it you get to special order it. IMHO, at that point Id rather just order the equivalent Grizzly, etc. if I could afford it.

The fun part, though, was as they were clearancing them out. Got the Ridgid jointer for $110, DeWalt 735 planer for $137 and the Ridgid bandsaw for a friend for $100.
    The worst part about mistakes is that you have to make them before you can learn from them.

Same thing here in Texas. Lowes also. Just small bench top stuff. Direct drive table saws etc.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

Same here. I bought the Ridgid R4330 planer when they first came out and, have never been able to buy replacement blades at Home Depot. They must be special ordered. I would never again buy from a company that places their tools in just one, incompetent store, with literally no customer service.
    And, you apparently can't order direct from Ridgid. They just tell you that HD is their distributer, and, as such, they can take care of all your needs. Yeah, right.
    Do like you always do,,,,,get what you always get!!

Home centers are "volume businesses"...large stationary tools are not volume products. And yes, they have been gone from the stores for a long time now.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    You can still buy bandsaws, drill presses and tablesaws at my Lowes and HD but, who'd want to . Wait . . . come to think of it, that's where my Delta 17-950 DP came from!?! Oh well, we're all entitled to the learning experience.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Both Lowes and HD are like this. I think the reason is they measure every display by revenue per square foot. Large tools require a fair amount of display area so they likely have a low revenue number.

I have not seen large tools at HD for awhile, but that does not really surprise me. I also own a Ridgid jointer, and bought it at HD because it was on sale. It was built by the same company that made the Craftsman, and they looked pretty similar, and of course, had different paint jobs. You should be able to find repalcement blades easily enough on the internet, and if you really want, you can get a spiral head carbide cutter for it.

I found the Shelix head by Byrd Tools -- for model JP0610:

http://shelixheads.com/SHELIX-heads_...r_%28JP0610%29
    Last edited by Lee Reep; 03-29-2015 at 2:41 PM.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-13...0502/203191718

I've found customer service for Home Depot dot com to be very good btw. Free shipping to most stores also.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    You can still buy bandsaws, drill presses and tablesaws at my Lowes and HD but, who'd want to . Wait . . . come to think of it, that's where my Delta 17-950 DP came from!?! Oh well, we're all entitled to the learning experience.
    OK - Glenn -

Two things, here.........Well.....three things, actually

First - you are right about "who'd want to?" You could have learnd that lesson simply by thinking it through for a minute, so it is unclear whether or not you deserve get a pass - - the Central Committee will have to get back to you. But - on the glass-half-full side, Julie just joined up, so we may now have added a modicum of sympathy. We will see.

Second - Really? REALLY? REALLY??? You want to memorialize me in your sig line? The bar could not be set any lower, Sir. Not possibly any lower than that.

And, last - The Cosmic Tool Consciousness wants you to know - that rule does not apply to any major tools bought at the BORG. Those - you just gotta eat 'em, dude.

EDIT: To the OP - those guys could not possibly have a LaGrange point on the price-performance-service curve as compared to Grizzly.
    Last edited by Kent A Bathurst; 03-29-2015 at 5:54 PM.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

My local HD stocks the 4512 take saw, but not much else in terms of big tools. My local Lowe's does display table saw but apparently isn't getting the delta saw. You have to drive about 45 minutes to another Lowe's to see it on display.

Wow! I'm more out of touch than I realized! Frankfort, KY had an HD for about three years. Opened shortly before the big store purge and got closed in the purge. Oh, well. Thanks for the input. DB
    It's called golf because all the other 4-letter words were taken

I thought it was because "big" ww'ing tools for you guys in Kintuckie and Texass was a big ole axe!!

My local HD had one 4512 in stock according to their website.