Thread: Stationary belt sanders

Stationary belt sanders

I've been saving for a belt sander for quite a while now, and need some input from you guys. (And/or gals.) Just what is the difference between this one, or this?
    Other than price and color, I can't understand why I should pick the Rikon. I'm only needing it for very light hobby use, and, I'm on a limited budget.
    Last edited by Roger Pozzi; 03-29-2015 at 9:55 AM. Reason: image added
    Do like you always do,,,,,get what you always get!!

Personally, I'd save up for a edge sander. Never had a lot of good results with those combo drum belt sanders.

Blog Entries
    They are a different format if that is important to you. The Rikon (and I'm not saying you should choose this one) drives the disc directly which mean the position of the disc is such that it does not block material being sanded at the belt regardless of position. The HF uses a belt drive but, it is unclear from the pic whether the disc causes an obstruction or not. This point may be moot as the disc on these machines only has about 2" of usable sanding area and I ended up removing the disc from the machine I had where it obstructed the belt area and never missed it.

My next version, I made sure the disc did not hinder my use of the belt. I also went for a physically heavier unit since the stamped sheet metal version was a rattle trap and racked under the slightest pressure. The cast iron and heavy gauge steel version that Sears (yes, Sears) sold many years ago is still going strong (the disc still got near zero use though due to its size). The Rikon appears to have a cast iron base. The disc guard on the HF is plastic where the Rikon is built into the cast iron. Only you can judge but, if you have been saving for awhile for an $80 ($64 with a coupon) tool it may not be realistic to pay twice that for the Rikon.

I have two approaches to new tools. One is to buy cheap in order to make sure it is something I am really after or that I will really use; then I buy a good one and consider the inexpensive one cost of learning. The other approach is when I have already learned enough to know what I specifically want; then I buy the best I can afford. Both my 4" belt disc machines have gone to new homes as I moved to a larger machine to meet my needs. If you do not need a larger machine, all it does is take up more room and cost more to purchase and operate. Consider your needs and the right choice in this decision will win out.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 03-29-2015 at 10:21 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I had a little Delta sander like the ones you are looking at, I found it just did not get used that much for me in doing wood working. I would try and get an edge flat and found it would just come out rounded.

I bought a Ridgid Oscillating Edge/Spindle sand and it gets used all the time. It is a great tool and very versatile. With the edge sanding and also a spindle it is really good for a lot of jobs in wood working.

I used an inexpensive 4x36" sander for years till I went up to a 6x48" machine. As long as the belt does not slip and it stays put and does not lose its tracking while you are sanding, either one will work.

I am going to ask a different question -- and hopefully will not hijack the tread ... but looking at the disk, one plate it a lot lower than center and the other one is at center. Does that matter? I currently have a Delta which has the disk plate at center. Lowering it will give more height, but will it cause a different pull on the piece?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Guessing your doing small pieces or craft type stuff which the work table looks to be the size for small pieces.I think for that type of wwing I would go with what Bill suggested and get the Ridgid Oscillating Edge/Spindle.(Its on my "I need it" list)

Save your money for an edge sander. I had an old rockwell delta 6x48/12 belt/disk sander that I restored but found that I don't use it a lot. Sold it (bidding war at that time!). Then got an edge sander. Much much better and more useful tool.

+1 on the edge belt sander
    Only one life will soon be past
    Only whats done for Christ will last

I had an Hitachi 4" belt sander that worked very well for me for years. I have since up graded to a six inch from harbor freight. ($200 ) I now have two of them with different grits installed. They work great and are the most used equipment in my shop. I did not install the disk sander on them. I have no use for that feature.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

Skip the Central Machinery sander. The quality is too poor, even for the price. I would say to shop around for a 6x48 sander, if the budget allows. The extra belt size sure is nice.

John

6x89 belt sander is most machine for the money. You'll never do without it.

I buy the HF sander on a regularly (about 10 or 12 a year) to use as the basis for a sharpening machine. It fits my needs and for less than $60 is a good value. That said, they need to be checked over closely and many adjustments and fixes done before they are ready to use. It takes me an hour or so to get all the nuts and bolts tight and everything in order. I would use something else, but the cost is many times more that the HF unit. I have looked at the Rikon and as a sander it is a good value a seems well built, but the format did not work as well for me.

Quote Originally Posted by CPeter James View Post
    I buy the HF sander on a regularly (about 10 or 12 a year) to use as the basis for a sharpening machine. It fits my needs and for less than $60 is a good value. That said, they need to be checked over closely and many adjustments and fixes done before they are ready to use. It takes me an hour or so to get all the nuts and bolts tight and everything in order. I would use something else, but the cost is many times more that the HF unit. I have looked at the Rikon and as a sander it is a good value a seems well built, but the format did not work as well for me.
    10 or 12 a year??
    Just what adjustments and fixes do mean?
    Do like you always do,,,,,get what you always get!!

I have a 6 x 48 sander that I built from 3/4 birch ply and a hardware kit from Gilliom Mfg. 40 years ago. Still available. Old school place - no web site. Call for a catalog 636 724 1812

If it comes from HF its usually a piece of junk, although I hear people rant and rave about the dust collector, but its still.....Harbor Freight.

Other than that they appear to be basically the same.